·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Official OLD GUY
3,875 Posts
Eddie,

I wouldn't shrink-wrap it at all . . . this thing gets really hot and should be mounted where it will get fresh cold air as much as possible. Away from any other wiring or stuff you don't want melted.

Doc

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Eddie like Doc said the resistor does get hot. Most cars had them factory mounted on the firewall clear of everything else. Remember the entire time car is running the resistor is working so it will be warm-hot since it's reducing the voltage and turning it to heat.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Eddie, you dont have to use that one. they make one that is a wire and it can run with the other wires. I bought one but didnt use it because my wiring harness came with one. 2000 miles and no problems yet.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dusty

yes, the wiring instructions for my Mallory did have an alternate wiring diagram that using "OEM Primary (Loom) Resistance wire."

the diagram is the same, but i am not sure what that meant.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can this be mounted on a little bracket on the intake manifold, behind the distributor, under my oval air cleaner?

if i mount it on the firewall, is it a problem if i run wires all the way back there?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Eddie, are you sure your coil doesn't have the resistor built in?

the coil i have does. seems to me you have to ask for a coil without the resistor built in anymore.

you should check since you've been running without an external ballast resistor to this point.

Good Luck!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
The resistance wire was used on GM cars till they went to electronic ignition. Might be an option,but check as I thought it needed to be a certain lenght if used. You can mount the resister other then on firewall,it does'nt have to go there. Some put them on the front of the engine,on side of coil bracket,just some where it won't do damage and can get some cooling air usually from the rad. fan. Main point is not to cover or tuck it away where it may heat or damage other wireing.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
STOP THE PRESS

according to the MrGasket.com Mallory ignition coil catalog

29219 does NOT require a ballast resistor!

i am good to go - thanks guys, this means i'll be able to fire it up tonight... if Cannonball Cobra can come over and help me...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
522 Posts
Good luck Eddie, I want to hear nothing but how great it's running.

Go Fast

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
should be tonight, Cannonball Cobra is coming over.... will advise with a brand new post

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
I mounted mine under my oval air cleaner, out of sight.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Bill, you missed the last memo. Eddie doesn't need a ballast resistor..never did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts