Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestion on how to clean the wire harness.
Mine is pretty bad.
I do have a pressure washer But too cold out to use! :eek:
Dennis

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I used Formula 409 handi wipes.

I got latex gloves and a seam splitter and took off all the tap.

The I used the wipes to clean off the wires and connectors, and some electrical connector spray to clean the inside of the connectors.

All came out nice & clean...but took time

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
I used some stuff called OOPS!. Comes in a little can like 3-in-1 oil. There's also a product called Goof Off (I think) that seems to be about the same. Either one will work to get the sticky stuff off - but go easy because if you get agressive it will stip some of the stripes off. Any good hardware store should have it. If you can stand working with sticky wires, you can save time by cleaning them after the diet - no need to clean up what your going to cut out.

BTW - I love your avatar. The "Clay Smith Cams, Mr. Horsepower" Woodpecker is my all time favorite hot rod logo. I've got him on my welding helmet and a T-shirt. My 16 year old daughter says it looks like he's smoking a joint. Pretty sad world when a 16 year old is more used to seeing people smoking pot than cigars!

·
Junior Charter Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed,

The wood pecked has been my logo all the way back to my soap box racing days in 1971. There will be a little one on Cobra somwhere!

Thanks!

Dennis

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,803 Posts
Simple green works really well. Make sure you let the harness dry completely before you do anything with it.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
I used Simple Green and Fast Orange hand cleaner. The longest part was removing all the tape and old loom. The cleaning part actually went pretty fast.

I have a utility sink. I threw a stripped harness segment in the sink, sprayed it down with Simple Green, let it sit for a while, squirted a glob of Fast Orange in my hand, and pulled each wire through my hand. Rinse and you're done.

The WD-40 should penetrate the dirt well, but the oily residue it leaves could make dust stick to the wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts