Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to chrome my upper Performer RPM intake. It is factory finished with what appears to be a silver/grey powdercoat. How do you prepare this finish for dipping? If it is powdercoat, how do you remove it? Can the plating shop prepare it? Anybody does anything like this?

Frank.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Frank, after speaking at great length with my plater about this subject this is what I can tell you. The chromium dip is the easiest and least expensive step, it's the prepping that takes the most time. Apparently, one must first dip the said part (maybe more than once) in an acid bath to remove most of the crap. Next comes the polishing, you must polish at nauseum until you achieve a mirror finish. After all "the chroming will only amplify the prepping done beforehand"

Copper bath comes next to cover any minute imperfections. Then the nickel bath (ask for the German stuff) and some use a two stage nickel bath. Finally, the chromium bath and your done. Now we know why it's so expensive to chrome parts.

Take care,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Dan. Yeah, I spoke to my plater and he said he could do it, of course, he did not mention cost.

Here's another question: should I chrome the inside of the intake? I'm thinking that it would smooth things out just like a port and polish job.

Frank.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Originally posted by Frank n Sons:
Here's another question: should I chrome the inside of the intake? I'm thinking that it would smooth things out just like a port and polish job.
Frank.
I don't think you can chrome the inside, something about electricity not being able to bond the chromium :confused: I think you can ceramic coat the inside though. I've heard that too smooth of a surface may not be good for porting heads - something about atomization- but dont know if the same holds true for intakes.

Take care,

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,852 Posts
The powdercoating is plastic. It will take aggressive mechanical means to remove. My powdercoater suggested a torch! He felt it would be slow going with a sand blaster which you don't want to use anyway.
TEC

·
Premium Member
18,168 Posts
The intake passages of a dry manifold (EFI) should be as smooth as possible. On a wet manifold (carb), they need to have a little texture to prevent fuel drop out at low rpm's.

I've never heard of anybody chroming the inside of the manifold, but don't see why it would not work. All the chromed pieces I've seen have plating on all the surfaces. So how will you keep the plating off the mounting surfaces of the manifold?

·
Rip Snortin Post Maniac
1,044 Posts
The chrome finish is only as smooth as the surface it is going on. If you polished the inside of the intake, there would be no reason to chrome. Chrome is also known to flake off of aluminum sometimes. That wouldn't be good on the inside of the intake. :eek:

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for all the responses. This is still in the thinking stages. The plater has some way of covering pieces of the part that will not receive plating (so he says). He also said he can remove the powdercoating (he did not say how).

Macho Toy - yeah, for some reason the plating process does not work well in tight spots, so plating the inside may be problematic anyway. And I have thought about what would happen if the plating lifted on the inside.

67Cobra - This combo that we have on our mill is just so good, that I would not chance swapping out a part. I can't get over how good this thing runs.

Decisions, Decisions...

Frank n Sons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts