Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump went out today (standard electric in-tank unit from an 89 mustang donor). I pulled it out and it was fried...literally. One of the wire leads going to it had the insulation melted off and the top portion of the pump itself had two burn holes where the electrical leads had their problem. When I got the pump out, I hooked it up to a 12 volt source at my work bench the electrical end of the pump was arcing. I found it interesting that the electrical leads to the pump (internal to the tank) are un-insulated spade connectors.

With this happening in the tank...why no boom?

·
Classic Format Fan
834 Posts
A little luck, and probably not enough air in the tank to get the correct air/vapor mixture. Take a knee, say thanks, and change that thing!

jj

·
15,282 Posts
YIKES. I can hardly picture it, but this just SOUNDS scary! Plunk down cash for a new pump and throw that junker away. Glad you weren't hurt!

Cheers, John

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
The spade connectors in the pump are always exposed...evidently , gasoline is a lousy conductor...otherwise , we would all be fried.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
Yep,
12 volts ain't gonna make that jump. Your spark plug literally takes thousands of volts. No spark. No boom. That, and there's not enough oxygen in the tank to make a boom either. Remember, liquid gasoline doesn't burn. Unlike Nitromethane and other fuels that have an oxygen molecule in them, gasoline does not. It has to be mixed with oxygen in the right mixture for it to burn.
You guys saw waaaaaay too many CHIPS episodes.

Now an EMPTY gas tank such as one you're gonna weld up some pinholes in....very dangerous. You want to flood that sucker with Nitrogen before welding on it.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
Mythbusters filled a gas tank full of bullets and the result was no boom. Exploding gas tanks are a thing of Hollywood unless you are in an 88 Ford pickup with a side mounted gas tank external to the frame or a Pinto.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts