Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't built yet......so I will ask a really noob question. I was looking over the Lime Rock pictures and when I saw the last one I noticed how nicely those tires filled up the wheel well....then I started wondering how the heck he kept those tires from hitting the body all the time? There cant be more than a couple of inches between the wheel and body, I am at a loss! Please explain! :confused:

Thanks!

[ September 01, 2002, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
ok, if you talking about this picture...

let me warn you, that guy's car is strictly for show, he trailored it in, the pipes are about an an inch off the ground. Let me add, he was making 735HP and he said he drove on the street once and almost crashed into a telephone pole. Do not use that as an example, that car is not streetable or practical in my opinion, the guy can;t drive it!

Also i am running pretty big tires, 295's in the rear, and occasionally i rub on my driviers side, but i would rather have the larger tire...

Eric

·
Senior Charter Member
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, what size tire would be good for a daily driver on country roads with small potholes, railroad tracks, twisty turnies, ups & downs...?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
i would say 275, but like i said i am running 295's and love the way the fill up the wheel well and i get minimal rubbing.

Eric

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
the 275, 295, etc sizes measure the tread width of the tire (not exact, models vary), the treadwith times the height ratio (typically 40-60 range) tells you how tall the tire is (how big the circumference is)

tirerack.com and other places have height calculators.

sometimes track/race cars seem to show very little clearance. that can be that the springs are stiff enough to prevent much compressions, and race tracks tend to have less vertical loading than public roads.

the car should come to rest on the bump stops before the tires rub.. adjust the bump stops as that is a safer stop than tire on body.

-james

[ September 02, 2002, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Ophitoxaemia ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
With 295/50/15's and just my 200lb self, I get occasional rubs over sudden dips. With my super-sized friend of 250lbs in the passenger seat I am wincing :eek: when ever I see a change in pavement approaching. My next set of rear tires will be 275's.

[ September 02, 2002, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: TNCobra ]

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If when buying tires you ask for the Mfg. specs on the tire in question,you then can compare apples to apples by using the actual dimensions of the tire as oppossed to just the tread width, aspect ratio,and rim size.For street use Im running Dunlop Sport 4000 275/40/17's actual tire height 26" with no contact and not alot of
Alittle bit on the hard side so they dont throw to much road trash up on the paint,but decent street traction :D .Good Luck

[ September 02, 2002, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Smitty ]

·
6,559 Posts
Just my opinion here but...

Like Roger said, the 275s don't rub. If you're going for authentic looks then go with the 275/50/15. If you're going for performance you won't feel the handling difference going to 295s on this car but likely risk rub. Like Eric said, don't go by the 289 in the picture, it's all wrong and set up for drags. (10 sec. ET)

Take a look at two originals I snapped at Lime Rock on Sunday. The first is a 4000 series glass continuation and the second is the real deal. Both have the wheel/tire located within the limits of the wheel well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rickster
On Tire Rack site, find a tire you like and pick "Specs" it will show all possible dimensions of that tire in all sizes. Not all brands have same dimension for same size.
Me, I'm starting with 7" Mustang wheels so I'll be 275 if somebody will mount them.

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
For anyone out there running bigger than 275, did you turn the quad shock around or replace it with something other than OEM?

A friend is running 275s and has not had any feeling of rubbing but when under the car he can see evidence of a little. His solution was to turn the quads around.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
Hey wait Roger...

My 275/50-15's rub! I have Team III wheels with the recomemded offset and just bolting them on the car the tires touched the quadshocks. After driving the quadshock mounts back with a BMFH and grinding the inside rubber off the top of the shock bushing I might have 3/8" clearance. Full tank of gas and a decent rise or bump and my tires rub the outside fenders. I know there's some people running 295's but I'll be damn if they'd fit on my wheels and work. (And yes, I've checked rearend alignment and it's with in 1/8".)

Beats me? :confused:

Mike
FFR 2335

1 - 13 of 13 Posts