Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do i torque the awkward, 16 point bolts on the rear end. I was told 25 ft pounds, it seemed low so i thought i'd double check.

·
2,332 Posts
I just installed mine last night and was wonderng the same thing. Anyone? If nothing else you got a quick bump to the top.

-SGC

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,170 Posts
This is copied from the Haynes manual.

"DRIVESHAFT INSTALLATION
Carefully inspect the rubber seal on the output shaft and the seal in the end of the transmission extension housing. Replace them if they are damaged.
Examine the lugs on the axle pinion flange and replace the flange if the lugs are shaved or distorted.
Coat the yoke spline with special-purpose lubricant. The Ford part number for this product is B8A–19589–A.
If installed to prevent fluid leakage, remove the plug or cover from the rear of the transmission housing.
Insert the yoke into the transmission housing and onto the transmission output shaft. Make sure that the yoke assembly does not bottom on the output shaft with excessive force.
Locate the alignment marks made (or the original marks noted) during removal. Install the driveshaft assembly with the marks properly aligned.
Install the U-bolts and nuts or bolts which attach the universal joint to the pinion flange. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 8–15 ft. lbs. (11–20 Nm). Flange bolts are tightened to 70–95 ft. lbs. (95–130 Nm).
Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle. "

Hope it helps.

Olivier

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put in a summit hoop. I was thinking the same thing. WHat that are the bolts that connect the driveshaft to the rear end, are they the flange
bolts.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
M3 - Yes

The drive shaft connects to the pinion FLANGE, often refered to as just the flange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts