Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Enough room for an LS7?

I'm planning on ordering a Mk4 Roadster in the spring and in the mean time, I'm working on all the extras I'll need (motor, trans, rear end, etc.).

I searched and couldn't find any dimensions on the height from the bottom of the frame rails to the underside of the hood.

Searches turned up quite a bit of information on what fits, but it's all in terms of 302/351 with this or that motor mounts. Since I'm using a LS7 that's converted to a carb, that doesn't help me a ton.

I just received the GM Performance intake manifold I ordered and it's a little higher rise than I thought it would be which has me worried about having room for a decent air cleaner on top of the carb.

I think that a measurement in a completed car can be made by dropping a tape measure down through the engine compartment to the ground adjacent to the center of the carb and then subtracting the ride height (frame height) at that point.

Thanks in advance!! (A Lot!)

Christopher

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
It's ~ 27" - 27.25" from the bottom of the frame rails to the top of the box tubing the body sets on. Body is not on, I can't do the hood measurement, but it'll be (real) close.

For comparison, measuring my 351W with standard depth oil pan, Wieand Stealth, double pumper, no spacer under carb: The oil pan is (effectively) level with the bottom of the frame (maybe 1/4" above). The top of the carb (the pad where the filter housing sets) is level with the top of the square tubing, the choke housing extends above.

The square tubing is rounded, sinking toward the front. These measurements were taken just behind the frame motor mounts (bottom of pan to top of carb).

It's also pretty tight back around the bellhousing area (another area you might want to give some thought). Not sure how to take any useful measurement in that area, the diagonals are the tight part (they could be rearranged if necessary).

HTH,

Mike

·
Registered
421 Posts
The LS engines all have the same deck height, so an LS7 shouldn't be that different than a carb'd LS1 check out this thread from the alternate driveline.
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/54-chevy-any-other-non-ford-motor-builds/263763-putting-ls-motor-into-ffr-roadster-long-read.html

Just my 2 cents, but I'd try fitting somethin a bit tamer to start with, an LS7 would be a bit of a handful out of the gate, and add alot of $$$$ to the build sheet. You could very easily fit say an LS3, or a re-built ls1 have, have 350HP, which is quite enough starting out, and change in an LS7 down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ls7

Thanks for the replies. Right now I have 23.75 inches from the bottom of the bellhousing to the carb mount pad on the intake. The bellhousing sticks down 1/2 inch farther than the bottom of the LS7 dry sump pan, and I think that I could modify the bellhousing to gain that 1/2 inch back.

I agree that the LS7 is a lot of motor, but I found a smoking deal on a used long block with 3000 miles and couldn't pass it up. The long block weighs almost nothing, which I think I might be more excited about than the 645 horses it makes at 7000 RPM with GM's Stage 3 cam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.