Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, use the search function. However, oddly enough, I searched pretty much all years of the roadster forum and didn't come up with a difinitive answer. The closest was one builder who basically just said "a quart".

So ... how much POR-15 do I need for a roadster frame with some left over for touch-ups, etc.?

While we're at it, how much Marine Clean and Metal Ready will I need?

I'm planning to to do a few mods prior to painting the POR and then touching up the inevitable mods that will come up later. I also plan to topcoat with something a bit cheaper than the POR stuff.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I used a quart to do frame, differential, rear control arms, front spidles, engine block, and several other small parts. It real goes a long way. I bought two quarts and used very little out of the second. You can buy it in pints too. A gallon of each of the cleaners should be plenty. Don't freak out when your frame turns to rust before your eyes as the metal ready dries. I just wiped it down and painted.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
I little bit goes a lloonngg way.

ALWAYS wear gloves and clothes you hate. This stuff will never come out.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
It was several years ago so my memory has faded, but a quart seems like way too much. If you buy that much buy it is half pints so you don't have to open what you don't use.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys ... looks like I'll get two pints and a gallon of each Marine Clean and Metal Ready.

I found Colonial Cobra's link when I was searching but his site seems to be down.

All of the vendors I have seen, including direct from POR's online store, have the same pricing.

Anyone buy online and can recommend a vendor? I'm hoping to get it by the week of Thanksgiving.

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
I sprayed a gallon on the inside of the body. Yeah, I know it won't rust, but I was looking for something to provide a bit of cushion for the rocks that shoot up so that star cracks in the fiberglass are less frequent. Makes a nice uniform surface as well.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
1 quart did mine.. I degreased the frame
with marine clean and then sprayed salt
water on the frame to get surface oxidation,
then hit it with marine clean again followed by
metal ready.. It is holding up great so far.

POR15 likes a little surface rust and bonds
really well..

If I did it again, I would go with the ffr
powder coat since it is now much less expensive
then 3 yrs ago.

I also did my engine with POR 15 engine paint
(Ford Blue) and it is really good stuff in my
opinion. I think the surface rust makes a difference with the bond.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,428 Posts
Tim,
You may be better off buying pints or half pints. POR15 is great stuff but very susceptible to contamination. When you paint with it never use it directly out of the can, also put a piece of plastic over the top of the can before you store it. A few drops in the lip of the can will make it real hard to remove. It works better on rusted parts but does bond directly to clean metal as long as you an etching solution or rough up the surface.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey Tim, I'm trying to figure out why the site is down.
I do offer special FFCars pricing on the POR products.

A Quart is enough to do the frame and a few additional components.

One package I offer is
1 Gal Marine Clean
1 Gal Metal Ready
1 qt POR-15
1 qt TopCoat

All for $106

Let me know what your interests are and I'll e-mail you individual prices.

Thanks
Brad
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts