Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to decide what engine to use and what hp will not be excessive for street use. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a 351W but not sure what hp or torque recipe to use. More hp but less torque or more torque less hp. I'm kinda leaning towards a stroker from the engine factory. Is there a point of no return with such a light car and will traction deteriorate with say, 400-500 hp? Why spend big $ for a motor that will never achieve its potential? What are the hp/torque limits for the 8.8 rearend?

TIA, John

·
Vendor
8,397 Posts
My buddy and I were discussing that very subject after his car pulled over 400lb/ft at the rear wheels at 2000rpm with a 408 stroker. Jason is running 600+ HP in his car but is using a centrifugal blower which is top heavy on the power delivery. You might want to email him to get his opinion on the over the top scale.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
From Mark Donahue:

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

In reality I have about 300 HP. There are still times it scares me. On the street it seems enough.

Mike

[ October 31, 2002, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: mikiec ]

·
Super Moderator
29,435 Posts
I'm building a 700 HP stroked BB. I hope it's enough

2FAST

·
Senior Charter Member
474 Posts
Have you driven a basic 302 car? Even the basic 302 car is pretty fast for the street. It may not be the fastest thing on the road, but it pulls pretty hard.

Then you can always slap a super charger on it & maybe some more goodies. Then you would be the fastest car on the road. Or close to it. :D

Thats my 2 cents

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
29,435 Posts
Jeff-

You need to put that bad a$$ motor in a Cobra :eek:

2FAST

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
I already sold most of it! Gonna go really mild in the cobra. Still afew goodies left for sale on the link in my sig.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
616 Posts
If you can get slowed down before the next corner to make it around the corner, you have enough Horsepower.

If you hit the wall, you have too much HP.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
If you have 225 hp, you want 300 hp

If you have 300 hp, you want 400 hp

If you have 400 hp, you want 550 hp

If you have 550 hp, you want 750 hp

If you have 750 hp, you want 810 hp

If you have 810 hp, you start all over again

:D

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Originally posted by kadunkadunk:
If you can get slowed down before the next corner to make it around the corner, you have enough Horsepower.

If you hit the wall, you have too much HP.
If you hit the wall, you have more horsepower than you can handle..but certainly not too much.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
it depends on what you are using the car for. on the freeway if you want to punch it and leap ahead of the viper R from 70 mph, then even 1000 hp will hook up (i think).

if its autocross then when there is so much power than you cant be really aggressive, then thats too much.

in drag racing you need to get out of the hole cleanly. but usually there you can always get more tire for your car.

in road racing its when your car blows up before it can finish the race (or get claimed or protested
)

-james

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.