Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the ford engine world. i have been thinking of how i want my engine and i was thinking of building a twin turbo charged 302 anyone know who i can contact about this or how much it would cost.. im excited i get my donor next weekend and ill be on my way soon after that..
robert

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Fortunatly, there are a number of companies making bolt on kits for Mustangs, both 4.6 and 5.0. Single, twin, intercooled, water cooled, street,race only. Lots of choices. Pick up a copy of one of the Mustang magazine and you'll find ads for them.

·
8,269 Posts
Read everything you can on the subject. There's a lot of magazine articles and books that will keep you busy for a while. Then sit and make a list of all the pieces that you need to complete the installation, both custom pieces and off the shelf pieces. As no one currently makes a kit for the FFR the custom pieces may be make or break for you. If you can do them yourself then it's hours more than dollars. If you have to get the hot side and cold side plumbing including the intercooler done custom the price will scare you big time. There are a few twin turbo FFR's around and I believe that they were all fabricated by the owners. If you can fab the parts yourself and go with a used/E-bay/junkyard combination then you can do it for a decent price. Check out some of the junkyard set ups on www.turbomustangs.com

·
Charter Member
584 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
I am curious, why twin turbos?
It is my understanding you would use twin turbos (over a single) because you wished to minimize lag, not to produce maximum HP. As modern turbos have improved signinificatly in this area, I was wonder why twin, or why not a supercharger, which has no lag at all?

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Originally posted by Tony Chiles:
check this post

http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/081634/p/1.html?

I did a rough cost of parts used to build the DIY turbo, kinda hurt to see in black in white, it didn't seem that bad when I was buying parts as I went along. It also took me a year to get it built, welder was good and free but was dog slow.
yikes, for the cost and complexity of it (and headaches down the road), why not just pony up initially and buy a brand new stroker with a crap load of power; like a 418w or 427w?

·
Charter Member
584 Posts
yikes, for the cost and complexity of it (and ), why not just pony up initially and buy a brand new stroker with a crap load of power; like a 418w or 427w? Well here is the story of WHY. My car had 23k miles on it and I needed a project. The sidepipes were getting very very loud. So the choice was I could pick up a project car and spend more money than I had budget or I could build the DIY turbo setup and quiet the car down. Kill two birds with one stone- briefed well. The project was a lot of fun to build, a bit of a pain to tune (you need to be smarter than the car). I guess I built the turbo setup because I like to make things that serve a purpose. I got the horse power but did not quiet the car down, did change the exhaust tone. I have 30k miles on the car now and have driven it on overnight trips to St Louis and to lower Alabama without a problem and still get 20 miles to the gallon hwy(if I don't put my foot in it).

Is it worth the cost? for me the answer is yes. I have more horsepower than I can use, it has a WOW factor and I built it myself. I did get an unexpected education on the EEC, boost, timing, A/F 14.7 bad A/F 11.5 good and lean backfires. I can also turn the boost up if I want more in the future.

headaches down the road? have not had the headaches down the road, just four at the beginning. I had the blow the headgaskets because of A/F ratio (A/F 14.7 bad under boost) and then warped the heads that caused the next two sets head gaskets to not seal and then the last set (lean backfire) of gaskets to get the tune right. The turbo system has been fine for over 6k miles now and a blast to drive.

Do I recommend that a person build a Turbo setup? Only if you are not in a hurry and you like to build things. I research the turbomustang site for months looking at what other people had done getting good info and searching for vendors and parts. Should have spent a little more tine on the A/F could have saved me little grief. If you are still interested you can call me 270 889 9702.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
Unless you have some fabrication/welding skills(or want to learn), it is quite a bit more expensive than going the supercharged route. I absolutely love my twin-turbo FFR, but it wasn't cheap.
Thomas

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Go for it!!!!

"yikes, for the cost and complexity of it (and ), why not just pony up initially and buy a brand new stroker with a crap load of power; like a 418w or 427w? "

Because we CAN!

·
Senior Charter Member
610 Posts
cool factor high.......expense and aggravation higher.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
You can do it cheap as well. That turbomustangs site is a good one they have a junk yard forum. I fabbed all mine up and used junk yard turbos and new intercooler, 42 lb injectors, and MAF. Cost for parts was about $1200 and another $600 for tuning. It was certainly a project much more difficult than bolting on a supercharger. But I enjoyed the welding and what not. It has lots of power and by adjusting my wastegates or getting a boost controller I could push the power to the level of cracking the block in half, assuming nothing else broke first.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I think the turbo idea is very cool and the reduction in exhaust noise is a major plus. I recently read a MM&FF article where a guy used a 65mm turbo from a John Deer tractor pulled from a junk yard and built his own turbo setup on a 302 in a Fox body Mustang vert. The car runs 11's! The intercooler was from the junkyard too.

I think the welding capability is a big deciding factor. If you can TIG your own tubing and use mandrel bent stainless for the hot side, and aluminum for the cold side, you'll be able to save a lot of money. You could use mild steel on the cold side too.

A stockish 302 with twin turbo's pulled from 80's Thunderchickens would be cheap and work great.

If you have the skills or can hire them cheap, I would go for it. Otherwise a Vortech or Paxton huffer will give you a ton of fun for a lot less hassle and money than the turbo's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.