Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running stock 1994 donor brakes & MC. I just sucked in a quart and didn't finnish one line. How much do I need?

As allways, thanks much!

Rich

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
One quart should do it.

The following is kind of a joke: This is easy, one/two/three quart(s). Open bottle pour some on ground to get started. Fill master cylinder, pour some more on the ground. Pump brakes, open bleeder get more fluid on the ground. Run MC dry, knock over bottle to get more on the ground. Go to parts store and get another quart. Refill MC and continue bleeding brakes. Repeat until brakes are all bled. Figure out the front calipers are on backwards and start all over again.

HTH, Cheers Richard. PS remember nothing unless it has some truth in it.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I bought 2 one liter cans, and used about 3/4 of one can to get mine done.

·
Senior Charter Member
887 Posts
I can relate to the spilling brake fluid for sure.

CalHusker

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Just buy a drum of fluid. Open the bleeder valve and see how far you can shoot fluid across the garage.

:D

·
4,342 Posts
I'm definitely going to be repainting my garage floor after the build's complete.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I have a bleeder kit (HF) so I have not spilled a drop. The suction/old fluid side has about 8oz of dirtyish fluid, and the system sucked in 32oz? I will get more today and keep going.
:confused:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Richard Oben described my experience perfectly, especially the part about having the front calipers on upside down! Because I changed to disk brakes at the rear, I have the added line detour to the proportioning valve under the dash.

By the time I got all of this right (I am not a mechanic, after all), I had bought about a half dozen small bottles of brake fluid. By the way, my Jeep Cherokee MC cover gasket did not seal completely, so I added a second rubber gasket underneath: now it's fine...I think...better go check!

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Richard is right, you'll probably spill as much as you put into your lines.
Anyone who has ever done PVC sprinkler lines also knows that the primer can and glue seem to be made to tip over all by themselves so you'll definitely need to go back to Lowe's or HD for another.
Paul M.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
it depends on your lines and how they are routed a little. Buy 2 and return 1 if needed. I though I must have a huge leak the way it sucked up the first bottle without finishing a single caliper. Then I finished all four with about 1/8th of the second bottle. It starts off slow then winds up real quick.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, Problem solved! It was the harbor freight bleeded kit. I got my wife to pump the pedal the old fashioned way, we did it in 15 minutes!

Thanks to all!

Rich,

Now that all of this, is done, I am walking to the kegerator!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts