Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So fess up. How many of you have purchased kits without ever experiencing it in the seat of the pants?

I'm guilty. I still haven't ridden in one, and I'm with DV/DT--I won't drive or ride in one until it's mine.

I did see a kit in process before purchasing, but to date I have not been in one other than mine in the garage, with me going "vroom, vroom."

Am I worried that I won't get a huge kick out of it? Not a bit!

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Me

Believe it or not, I didn't even know what a Shelby Cobra was until a few weeks before I bought my kit.

I was looking through an exotic trader thinking 'Hmmmm, 360? Gallardo? Merci?' then saw a used FFR (for $120K!!! (for a donor 5.0 build no-less!!!!!))

Starting researching it, discovered what a Shelby Cobra was and, more importantly, what FFR was, then placed my order 2months later.

·
Junior Charter Member
204 Posts
never sat in one road in one loved the car when I was 12 and when i had a chance to build one I did at 51. A CARS A CARS A CAR did not make much difference

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
I hadn't!!!
I knew exactly what a Cobra Shelby was, I had built a couple of models,
and I had seen Cobra kit cars at shows etc. I had never sat in one, never driven or riden in one and had not even seen an FFR being assembled or in any stage. I just knew I had to have it.
This year I went to Knott's and sat in a couple (some guys are awsome) and I knew I had made the right decission.
Can't wait to get it on the road!!!
I was about to pull the trigger on an 2006 MBZ E55 AMG untill I stumbled on the FFR site again, after some years, and made up my mind.

·
Junior Charter Member
101 Posts
I had never heard of FFR and a buddy showed me the brochure. I showed my wife, and two days later ordered the kit. Never heard, seen or rode in an FFR until my go-cart, and will have one in my stall until the day I die.

Tim

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
rode in one after I ordered mine,didn't drive one till 4 weeks befor mine was done. a friend let me take his up to the body shop where I got mine painted. charlie

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,235 Posts
Me :D

Did some research before the purchase to find out who the best vendor and support group was. Decided on FFR and haven't looked back since. My heart starts really pumping when I hear first starts and first go-kart rides on the forum. The build is just not going fast enough. Wayne Presley's build is not helping either. :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
The frist one I saw was on the day I placed my order. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Caterham kit when I saw the ad in Autoweek back in 99. I had a couple of Tigers in the past and thought that it would be about the same but even back when it was a stock 302 the tiger's couldn't even come close.

·
2,746 Posts
I still have not been in one, and I feel that I'll wait for that first experience to be in my own. I have been in a real 427SC about a thousand years ago at Road America. Very quick ride, especially when you are the guy crouching on the floor holding on to the roll bar.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I sat in a 289 street Cobra when I was about 6 years old. I remember that car just pushing me back into my seat, the noise, the rumble of the exhaust coming out the tail pipes...
In the 80's got to ride in an ERA replica 427 big block car.. OMG

Many many years later, got to sit in Dave Smith's FF blue/white stripe at Carlile..
. ( 2004?)

Just a few weeks ago DWM here in Acton Mass let me drive his... Slow, just to get the feel..
Still waiting for the ultimate, my own. Sitting in the garage as we speak, with a supercharged, NOS 5.0 GT donor.... Trust me you, I AM GOING TO ROAST THE TIRES< I want to pull the front wheels if I can !
SO I guess you could say that it is really a childhood dream to own and drive it. Now a reality.

Already have a name picked out for her.

"SWEET CHILD 'O MINE"

Jerry

·
Charter Member
240 Posts
Never rode in one or sat in one until I go carted mine.

·
613 Posts
I remember seeing an ad around '97 for FFR and thought that would be cool. In May of '05 I ordered my FFR as a reward to myself to having just spent 13 months in the desert for Uncle Sam. I was in the go-cart stage before I even saw a FFR in person or even rode in one. mike

·
1,672 Posts
I spent 6 days on track in Racing Adventures spec like cars before buying .

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Never rode or sat in one until I drove/rode with Kouros (
). I go-carted mine 2 weeks later.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.