Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just dropped the engine in yesterday, and putting together a shopping list. What amp
alternator should I use ? No really big load items just electric fuel pump ,radiator fans
fresh air fans and heater fans.
Thanks guys

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Well, you listed about 50 to 60 amps in your basic list. All those motors draw lots of current on start up (battery can handle the initial surge), but even the continuous rating on a 12v motor is significant (a 300 watt motor draws 25 amps at 12 volts).

Personally, I'm a fan the 100 amp 1-wire, but you will get lots of opinions on this one. This will give you additional capacity for a power jack for cell phone charging or portable air compressor, additional lights, music, etc.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
774 Posts
Bchaulk I have a couple of 3G alternators that I cleaned up from the salvage yard. I have tested each one and they all work fine. If you want one let me know (free). Where on the Cape are you, maybe we can meet up and I can get rid of one of these things. I allready set up the wiring harness on them. You need the heavy guage wire for charging and 1 switched 12V+ wire for the excite circuit. Let me know.
Sean

[ November 23, 2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Crook038 ]

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
I'm going with a 100Amp alternator. I have a dual-fan radiator which will both be protected by 30AMP fuses. If both of them kicked in at say 20A simultaneously, that's 40 amps right there. Haven't factored in the fuel pump (15A fuse), ignition, and brake lights. With a hot summer night, everything would be on (driving lights, headlights). I didn't want to take a chance.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
As a minimum, I would go with a 100A alternator, If you add a high powered stereo, or A/C, jump to a 130A or a 200A unit.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I have a standard 65A unit in mine. With a huge fuel pump, electric fan, and all the lights on, still making plenty of power. Cost me about $35 at Autozone. Doesn';t weigh much, and it's pretty small.

·
Charter Member
290 Posts
Originally posted by Crook038:
Bchaulk I have a couple of 3G alternators that I cleaned up from the salvage yard. I have tested each one and they all work fine. If you want one let me know (free). Where on the Cape are you, maybe we can meet up and I can get rid of one of these things. I allready set up the wiring harness on them. You need the heavy guage wire for charging and 1 switched 12V+ wire for the excite circuit. Let me know.
Sean
PM sent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts