Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have a Custom Autosound radio in your build, how do you like it(other than being drowned out by the sidepipes)? What speakers did you use (thiers or some other brand)? And which wattage unit did you get; USA-1 with 100 watts, USA-2&3 with 64 watts (is this too low?), or USA-5&6 with 140 watts ? Thanx, Don

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I almost put a 300 watt system in my car then opted out because everyone else around you OUTSIDE of the car will hear your music etc and that's just plain rude in my book. So, I've decided to use my Ipod instead, even though it might be illegal to put ear buds in your ears, it still beats the irritation factor to other drivers...

·
Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
I had the 100 watt system in my 32 Ford, I liked the hidden part, my dash was very plain. The RF remote feature was great. I installed the unit under my seat. I plan to use the same unit in the Cobra. Radio unit in trunk. I may make a mount to raise it off the trunk floor.
Tim

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,696 Posts
You will need a very quiet exhaust to make a radio worthwhile. And even then,the wind noise will have to be overcome by radio volume.If you do it, hide like bigtim01 says.

·
5,559 Posts
I have a completely hidden system in my car, which has no head unit at all. I just use my Ipod as the "head unit", which passes through a 250W Alpine amp, feeding a pair of Boston Accoustics speakers in the rear wall. Perfect for back road cruising, but for me the wind noise is the killer on the highway. With my top up it's fine though. I'm with cobranut1 with what he said above, though, in that I don't like broadcasting my music choice to everyone else. I always hate the teenage punks in our area that have massive subs that rattle the windows in the cars around them. If I'm on the highway, I usually just pop in my earbuds (even though it's probably illegal). You have to listen louder than normal to drown out the wind and exhaust noise, but personally I'd rather lose hearing to music than "white noise".

Brian

·
5,559 Posts
Paul, that's really cool! A bit pricey, though... :eek:

Brian

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Originally posted by cobranut1:
So, I've decided to use my Ipod instead, even though it might be illegal to put ear buds in your ears, it still beats the irritation factor to other drivers...
Yes....except when the other drivers get held up on their way to work or play while emergency workers clean up the mess you'll leave after getting blind sided by the car you "didn't hear".

It's illegal for a reason.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Yes....except when the other drivers get held up on their way to work or play while emergency workers clean up the mess you'll leave after getting blind sided by the car you "didn't hear".
If you're depending on your hearing in this car to keep you from getting "blind sided", I would go ahead and boost my life insurance if I were you. That aside, as has been discussed many times here in the past, if one doesn't wear some sort of hearing protection while driving the FFR, you won't be hearing much for long anyway.

I find that using high but not total dB attenuation in-the-ear phones with iPod at low volume actually filters out the drone of the exhaust as well as wind blast and allows me to hear other traffic noises better...most importantly sirens and horns...those are really all that matter.

It is interesting to note that while recently riding around in a friend's brand new top of the line Lexus with the stereo on at moderate levels, I noticed TOTAL isolation from the sounds outside the car (a real tribute to Lexus engineers BTW). How do all those Lexus drivers avoid being "blind sided"? It's called being constantly positionally aware. You use mirrors, eyes and neck muscles. Maybe years of riding a motorcycle helps. This was stressed at the Skip Barber Road Racing School as well as at 2 motorcycle courses I've attended in the past.

[ October 18, 2007, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Rad22 ]

·
Registered
584 Posts
I did something like Brian. I hide a head phone extension to the underside of my dash. Ran it back to an amp in the trunk, then mounted the speakers in the back panel nd covered them with carpet. You wound never know it was there unless I told you. I can plug in an ipod, mp3 player, laptop, walkman, ect. It's not ear shattering quality, but it's better than nothing.

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Why would you want to buy the Custom Autosound radios unless you are going for a Secretaudio unit? Just get a Pioneer, Sony Etc. The only use for a Custom Autosound I can think of is for a Classic where you don't want to cut the dash, you'll end up building a console for the radio so save some money and build it to accept something off the shelf.

Cobra Cory (Paul),
Look closely at your Oakley's. They have the earbuds in both ears. I think it would drive me nuts having an MP3 player with only one ear bud so I looked at the ad real close, it does have a left and right. So it will not only drown out the exhaust you won't be able to hear your passengers screaming when you tell them to "Watch this s**t!" :D
Cool product but definitely pricey.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim, I wanted the "old vintage look" (Ford face plate with analog display, pushbuttons, etc.) with modern technology. Don

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the replies but no one has really answered my questions. I take it not many people have used this radio brand to give me a thumbs up or thumbs down. Like I just repied to Tim, I'm looking for a vintage looking radio and I realize there will be wind and sidepipe noise issues. But right now I'm concentrating on something simple like the above brand, how about it, anyone out there? Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts