Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front splash panels are finished off by placing a single rivet at the bottom and silicone all around but I'm not sure what to do about the rear panels, they seem to shift around a bit.
I thought of putting a rivet at the bottom but I think it would look unsightly from behind. What have you guys done with the ears?

Take care,
Dan

·
Senior Charter Member
1,725 Posts
I put some silicone and they haven't budged.

JQ

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Hi Dan, I just fininshed mine on Monday night. I bolted the outter lower portion to the body and the inner portion I bolted to the gas tank flange, one side directly - driverside, passenger side I make an aluminum bracket to reach.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Bend the bottom "flange" per the manual and put a single 3/16" rivet through the body. I also silicone around the outside of the bulb seal.

Bob - you might want to double check where you bolted through the gas tank flange. The seam weld is at the very outer perimeter of the flange. You will likely have a fuel leak at the bolt hole. :(

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,655 Posts
I bolted the bottom of the panel to the body. Drill and countersink and it will never be seen and if need be, easily removable.

Olli

·
4,494 Posts
If you stop tickling the elephant's feet, it will stop wiggling its ears. This is a well documented natural reflex.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys,

Yeah, the gas tank flange did look tempting but I believe John Baker warned about drilling into it.

I'll take your collective words for it and use a couple of rivets and silicone to do the trick.
It just seems like rivets and like would really stand out on my blue paint - got any pics?

Perhaps a bit of touch up paint will hide them further. This is when a silver car would be nice to have ;)

Bill :D

Take care,
Dan

·
Super Moderator
3,701 Posts
You can just see the Cleco in the lower right of the pic where I bolted the panel to the body. Also, used some silicone to seal it to the gas tank

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Mine where oversize ...So with careful trimming I ended up bolting it to the chassis with nothing fastening it to the body. It hasent moved on its own in 4 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.