Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you using the wheel tie downs like this:

or just some nice think nylon straps in the front and rear? Where are you guy attaching these straps?

Eric

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
Eric, I bent up some pieces of re-bar and welded them to the ends. Cost me nothing, but I wish I had done that rear one straighter :rolleyes:

Take care,

·
12,671 Posts
I have a plastic coated logchain. Its red, its sexy. Anyhow, I hook one end on the side of the trailor, run a loop of chain around the frame inside the motor mount supports, across and circle the other side inside the motor mount supports. i have a chainjack that i tighten the chain with. It aint going anywhere with that.

As insurance, I put a 2 inch nylon strap around the rear and chocks infront of the front wheels.

earl

·
Registered
628 Posts
I use the heavy nylon straps about 12-18" long. On the front I wrap these around the frame and attach to tie downs opposite corner from the attachement. In the rear, I have a bolt in each of the lower rear control arm attachment points. i use the nylon strap around this and attach directly back on the same side.

I put the car in nuetral and the brake off.

I have no experience with the tire wraps you show, but it does make tiying down more complex.

Hank
FFR 1776-II

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
There was a very good article on a Corvette site recently about the dangers of strapping cars down by the frame. It said it really can damage the suspension somehow. I can't remember where the article was. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
On both my "old" roadster and my new spec racer I had loops added like Dan's too. Sure makes it easier to tie it down. THen I use axle straps in the back.

·
Senior Charter Member
436 Posts
I use 2-20'X 2" nylon ratchet straps through my Cobra R wheels. I leave the brake off and tranny out of gear. Where the straps go through the wheel, I just fold an old towel in half to protect it.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
For you guys thinking about welding the rebar as shown above, you should know that if you're intending on using the FFR 3-link setup, the driver's side rebar loop will be in the way of one of the arms that gets bolted right there to the end of the 4" tube.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Never chain the frame down to a trailer, always strap the wheels down like the "UHAULERS" utilize. It binds the suspension and literally stresses the dickens out of the frame. There are straps designed for this that are nylon and stretch at 1000-2000# static pull, if you dont want to buy the nets. Safety chain it for sure, because the tire nets loosen over the first few miles, just stop check and re-tighten.

Grumpy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts