Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FFR gave me 8 phillips head screws, all of which are narrower than the four main holes in the FFR electric fan, to mount the metal strips to the fan. They didn't give me any nuts, and nuts aren't listed in the inventory packetl; all I have are the screws and some funny looking washers that are supposed to go on them. The screws don't look like the type that accept nuts anyway. However, the manual says to use "flat nuts" for them. How do you use these narrow screws to attach the fan to the strips?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Force the screws into the sheet metal. They are kind of like sheet metal screws going into sheet metal, they don't need nuts to hold them down. A little blue loctite probably wouldn't hurt, though. If it really bothers you, get some new machine screws with nylon lock nuts and drill out the holes.

I'm going to ditch the radiator shroud all together. I'll attach the fan to a couple of 1" square tube aluminum pieces and bolt that to the radiator. I'll be sure to use some rubber isolator spacers on the fan to hold it away from the fan fins.

Finally, be sure the fan is rotating in the correct direction. It should pull air through the radiator from the front of the car. When you wire it, if it pushes air, you'll need to pull the fins (as one unit) out of the whole assembly and flip them around. Then, reverse the wires so it pulls air.

Good luck.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but the screws I'm talking about are narrower than both the pre-cut holes in the metal strips and the plastic holes in the fan. So there's nothing for them to be forced into, everything is just too big. Besides the four large holes in the fan, there are several smaller ones around the perimeter of the plastic fan. I can't use them though, because there's no way they can line up with the holes in the metal strips. Maybe I got the wrong screws. Anyone else go through the same thing?

Thanks for the information about the rotation direction.

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
I pitched those. I used 1/4" allen head bolts with lock nuts. When I mounted the fan to the brackets, I used longer bolts, and spaced the fan 3/8" away from the brackets.

·
Junior Charter Member
256 Posts
I also pitched the screws and used small bolts with lock nuts. I also went to Home Depot and picked up some rubber spacers. I used to spacers to make sure there was plenty of space between the blades and the metal straps. Without the spacers, the blades get very close).
Dave

·
Junior Charter Member
569 Posts
I pitched the whole shooting match and fabricated a fan shroud from sheet aluminum. That way I know that I'm pulling through the whole rad rather than just the circle covered by the fan. Looks better polished up too......

Andrew

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
1) I don't recommend scrapping the shroud - it really does make a difference in the effectiveness of the fan. I'm using the original "wimpy" FFR fan with my 302 Crate motor (~300HP if you belive the ads) in Southern California in the summer, and I hold rock steady at 210F even when its well over 100F outside.
2) if the installation directions havent changed too much you should be driling through your finger at some point.. (he says looking at the scar on his left index finger)

But seriously - the screws should be self tapping into the straps.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,848 Posts
I just drilled new holes in the shroud. Seems to work fine. I need to remember to use some off set though otherwise the fan blades flex a bit I guess and you will take em out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts