Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if I should paint or powdercoat my aluminum panels. I think the main deciding factor will be how well they hold up.

Pleae chime in!

TIA,
Stan

·
Charter Member
3,866 Posts
They hold up fine as long as you don't drive on salted roads.
Also it isn't worth powder coating or painting if you going to insulate and or undercoat the floor/ trunk panels.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I wish I had put something like a coat of bedliner on the ones in the engine bay. They look a bit splotchy (if that's a word) after time and I think having them blacked out would help the wireloom blend in.

If you wanted to save some money, you could just powdercoat the engine bay and nose alum. No need to do much to the rest since it gets covered up.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
yes salt eats them nasty. when i brought my kit home it was in winter and some sloshy road salt sprayed on them and actually ate into them, but other than that they held up nice.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Someone here on the Forum has had his engine panels "Line-Xd"...I think that would be the way to go , if salt spray is a problem...Line-X does a great job, and it's tough as nails.
A good cheap way, would be ordinary truck bed rubberized coatings for the areas that can't be seen , and underside of engine panels....

·
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm thinkin' of painting them with POR15.

Thoughts? Concerns?

·
1,743 Posts
I'll give you a tip.
If you get any on your skin you'll be wearing it to the Valentine's Day Dance.

·
Junior Charter Member
823 Posts
I thought POR15 was for steel, not aluminum.

POR stands for Paint Over Rust.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
Acetone will remove POR-15 if you get to it in a reasonable amount of time.

I noticed I had some on my arm in a couple of places while I was painting my frame. Due to 'common knowledge' aquired from this forum, I figured "there's nothing I can do about it ... might as well finish the frame before I even try". An hour and a half to two hours later I tried the acetone for the heck of it and it came off fairly easily. I did not leave any on longer than this so I can't say if it'll come off later or not. I'd say as long as you get to it before it is fully cured, you should be okay for the Valentine's Day Dance. ;)

Maybe when I paint the rear axle housing, I'll try a dab for longer (in an unobtrusive spot, of course) and see if I can get it off after it completely dries.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Painted mine with Rustoleum Hammered paint from a rattle can after cleaning them with acetone. It holds up real well, but can be scratched easily. Pete

·
65 FANGS
522 Posts
consider the rustoleum hammered paint treatment. sez on the can no primer needed. do a search on the forum for this effect. i plan on trying it soon but have not yet.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
If you go the "rattle can" route, suggest you use a metal etch chemical, or light sanding with 180/220 grit, otherwise , it will come off easily.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I powder coated all the panels. It was a little more than I wanted to spend but I love the way they turned out. I would do it angain.

·
planning
57 Posts
I come from a line of old-school sports car driving (you drive it as long as you have it, no matter the weather), so am planning on a top for nasty weather. Hadn't thought about the salt eating into the AU panels until now. Don't want to give up the occasional sunny winter drive, despite probable salty roads. Will this mean under/powder coating it all??!!!
Michael

·
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1HOTSC: Yea...I've used it on my rear end (careful with that one), and I was REALLY impressed with how it went on and how it looks. So much so that I'm now debating if I should put it on the aluminum panels, to keep them in nice shape.

DBoone: POR15 has products for all types of materials...aluminum being one of them.

Jon A: Yea...THAT post is in fact what triggered my question. It didn't appear to be answered when I posted my question. Also I wasn't sure your question captured what or why I asked my question. (clear as mud?)

RADARPETE: POR15 is supposed to harden to a pretty durable finish, resistant to scratching, etc.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll be coating the panels. Now....what color....black? Silver? Clear?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts