Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have a few small pieces of Aluminum that I'd like to polish, but, well, I don't have a clue how.

I was hoping someone might be able to clue me in?

Thanks,
Ivan

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,028 Posts
Ivan,
If you are going to polish a limited number of small pieces and don't want to spend $300 on buffer, you can go this route:

For a nice satin finsih just buff with Mothers aluminum polish on a rag.

For a mirror shine, buy a 6" stiched cotton wheel for your drill motor and a stick of tripoli or other soft metal buffing stick from Lowes etc.

Buff aggressively and that will remove the fine scratches and extruding lines in the aluminum. Finish off with Mothers either by hand or better yet with another wheel or a wool bonnet on a paint buffer.

Greg

·
Charter Member
996 Posts
I second Greg M's vote for Mother's. I used Never Dull for a long time, which works decently, but once I tried Mother's, I was rubbing every piece of aluminum on the car I could find.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
This is the route I took:
Wet sand with 600/block until smooth.
Extra fine (0000)steel wool/Brasso.
Mothers metal polish/soft rag.
use rubber gloves or you'll never have clean hands again :D

Mothers is great stuff!

c

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great, thanks guys.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,387 Posts
Another vote for Mother's. I use an el-cheapo electric polisher. I use the lamb's wool first and then follow-up with another go of it with the lamb's wool pad covered by an old cotton tee shirt. Works well and is cheap.

Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
339 Posts
Along with Mother's Polish, Mother's Powerball, fits right in drill and sure saves time, I just got a kit with a large and a small ball, very handy, would buy again in a heartbeat. The plastic polish worked great also.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about putting a cloth wheel on a bench grinder?

Do I need some compound or can I used Mother's here?

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Look at Greg M's website, he has pics of his aluminum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.