Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum and I can't really find anything that explains this in a way that my small brain can understand. I have a carb'd 302, American Autowire harness, and I'm using the stock radiator and FFR supplied fan.

I hear guys on the forum talking about how when their engine gets to 'x' temperature, the fan automatically turns on and cools the motor back down to 'x'.

My kit came with some sort of fan relay with blue wire, but I can't see how this whole thing works. There's not much in the manual on this subject either.

Do I have the required parts to do this? Do I need to have the fan automatically come on? Please help me understand this? :D

Thanks guys,
Jeff

·
Daily Driver since 2/03
995 Posts
You need to go buy a thermostat that will trigger the fan relay. FFR supplies a manual toggle switch for the job. A cheap one (a probe-like one) will work fine. You just push it through the radiator near the top and hook it to the relay instead of the toggle switch.

·
Charter Member
607 Posts
Jeff,

Call me. Mine has both toggle and auto.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I sell a coolant sensor / relay package for $69.00. It uses a factory coolant sensor that screws into a 3/8ths NPT coolant port in the intake or my Degas / fill tank. This method of fan control is used on all factory installations.
Mike Forte

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
There's also an $18 version of basically the same thing that you can get at AutoZone. Search the archives and you'll be able to get a part number. That's how I found mine. Might be lower quality than the flex-a-lite model. I'm not sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used a Flex-A-Lite unit from NAPA (my Wife
works there). I've had the same unit, relayed
of course, on my Jeep running twins for 12 yrs.
with no problems at all. The capillary under
the hose is a little scary, but no trouble.
I also like the variable turn-on control.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Jeff,

Auto Zone and Discount Auto Parts sells a nifty little package that includes a probe and adjustable thermostat for about $25. Got them on three cars and they work great and allow you to adjust the temp you want the fans to come on.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I copied Don's system (thanks, Don!) and it works perfectly. I hid the controller back between the frame and the body on the passenger side and used a couple of tie wraps to hold the sensor to the upper radiator extension tube that came with the kit. I stuck it on the tube after it passes through the F-panel, so you have to look real hard to see it.

All the best,
Tag

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
580 Posts
OK this Adj.Temp Switch is about like the EGR resistors that cost less than $.30 . You can buy a WELLS TU46 Temp sw. for $7.95 it's a 1/2" NPT .,spade terminal,and can be adjusted from 120* to about 300* for the light or relay to come on.Well also makes a dual unit the same size which you can run your fan control and the other one for your High Temp.Warning or EML light . This sending unit has a adj. screw with a dap of epoxy over it, but with a EXACTO knife you can clear it away for rejustment. If it gives you any trouble just heat the tip of your screwdriver till it starts to glow and stick it back into th adj. screw and turn it C/W to decrease the TEMP. . I also found the BOSH 30amp. relays for less than $1.99 for this switch to control.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Naga,

I'd be really interested in your diagram. Any chance you can post it?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up going with the probe style from Autozone. NAGA's drawing is quite nice. Although I haven't installed it yet, it's looks to be pretty straight forward.

Famous last words :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help guys,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts