Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions on the best(cheapest) way to rid myself of the donor chassis. I left a "contact me" with a company that called themselves auto recyclers and even have a video of cars being demonished by a special hydrolic machine. I recieved a call from a lady, whom had appearently not read the email, that basiclly hang up on me when she read the word chassis. How did you get rid of your donor chassis?

R/s
Vidal

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check for scrap dealers in your area. Be prepared to send in the paperwork proving ownership of it. You should get #2 scrap price for it. I doubt that they would come get it though.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Step 1 - Put add in craigslist advertising "A rare chassis donor hulk." Put a price on it of $30,000 (or more).
Step 2 - Respond to the scammer of your choice
Step 3 - Receive a bogus check for $30,000 via an overnight service delivery service.
Step 4 - Watch your donor being towed way.
Step 5 - Frame bogus check

Total cost - zero

Bruce

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Step 1 - Put add in craigslist advertising "A rare chassis donor hulk." Put a price on it of $30,000 (or more).
Step 3 - Receive a bogus check for $30,000 via an overnight service delivery service.

Total cost - zero

Bruce
:001_smile: That's funny.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Now thats funny.....I need to remember that one.:001_smile:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check for scrap dealers in your area. Be prepared to send in the paperwork proving ownership of it. You should get #2 scrap price for it. I doubt that they would come get it though.
Thanks. I just found a metal scrapper that's local. They have contact with road guys that will make you an offer and take the scrap metal for some cash then go sell it to the facility for a profit. Works for me. I have the title if it's needed. Should get a call today. Guess I just need a steer in the right direction. I had "auto" in my head and those guys are looking for vehicles to part out. thanks.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts

Total cost - zero

Bruce
Brilliant...a classic.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
If the chassis is anywhere near good, DO NOT SCRAP IT! I had one that was completely stripped down to the tub and frame rails......and one of the front frame rails was pretty bent up. I took a chance and listed it on ebay, expecting to get no bids, or $100 or so maybe. It ended up selling for almost $1200! Apparently, if you've got the title to it, guys actually rebuild these things back to a running car!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the chassis is anywhere near good, DO NOT SCRAP IT! I had one that was completely stripped down to the tub and frame rails......and one of the front frame rails was pretty bent up. I took a chance and listed it on ebay, expecting to get no bids, or $100 or so maybe. It ended up selling for almost $1200! Apparently, if you've got the title to it, guys actually rebuild these things back to a running car!
Shane,
Thanks. I'm sure It can be straighten but the title is a FL Certificate of Destruction title. I don't think it can be legally rebuilt and put back on the road but you never really know.

·
Charter Member
4,717 Posts
Is there a deep lake nearby?

·
craftsman
1,927 Posts
If you were in Stockton, Ca., then all you need to do is push it down the street about 3 houses and withing 2 days it will be gone............I have done that with 6 mustang donors when I was building FFR Cobras (oh, can I say that?)

RM

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Nobody in my area wanted the carcass so it went to the landfill. The recyclers didn't want the plastic/steel - body/frame mixture.

It was quite a sight - that black Z06 in among the defunct refrigerators and wheel less bicycles!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My bro bought a Bug Eye Sprite, been in a barn for years, no title found, he would have to wait five years for salvage claim and at any time the original owner could claim it and he would loose any money he had in it, so for five years your fixing up some one elses car. Bad idea hence why some one would buy a stripped down donor car they didn't buy it for the metal don't fool yourself here. They bought the title. As I was purchasing a donor mustang I checked the vin number on the title to the car and he looks at me and says expensive dash board huh. Get the picture. I'm not sayin all deals are shady but don't be gullible

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'll definitely take a look. After have someone offer me $900 for my LS1 :wacko:I've been using other souces. It felt good to tell him it was sold.

If you chassis is straight, check with Race Teams... I sold/traded mine to LG Motorsports. They turned it into a world challenge car!

David
David,
It's crushed front passenger. Doesn't look that bad, but I'm not abody guy. Didn't pull and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary either. I just want it gone and I don't have a trailer to haul it myself. I'm hoping the metal scrapper will take it.

If you were in Stockton, Ca., then all you need to do is push it down the street about 3 houses and withing 2 days it will be gone............I have done that with 6 mustang donors when I was building FFR Cobras (oh, can I say that?)

RM
That's Hilarious......:shifty: Don't think the neighbors will appreciate though..gated....:eek:

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Mine just ended up in the dumpster.
The scrappers wanted me to pay to have it removed so out came the saws-all and a couple of trips to my office after hours.
It was all good until our shipping and receiving guy wanted to call the cops to tell them that there must be a chop shop in the neighborhood dumping stripped cars in our office dumpster.
Some peoples kids....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Solution

The scrapper never showed. So I went to HD for a pack of blades for the saws all and rented a 5x9 trailer. Then off to the recycle center. Net result: +$17 and no more C5 chassis.

:eek:fficer3: Vidal

·
Registered
93 Posts
I checked out the ads for tow truckers who also pick up scrap cars. They do the pick up. Some of them advertise that they will give you some cash.

Mine was a convertible with nothing left on it. When the guy showed up he gave me $40 and dragged the donor onto the flat bed. That was the end of that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts