Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a water pump that has been painted black and is generally very dirty. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to clean it? I used a rag with brake cleaner and it does a pretty good job. The problem is all the nooks and crannies on the water pump. I can't get the corners clean.

It is aluminum and my plan is to repaint it with either clear or alumicast paint once it is clean. It depends on how clean I am able to get it.

Thanks for the tips,
- Jesse

·
514 Posts
Hate to say it, but might just be easier to buy a new one. Just bought a Ford Racing one from Five Start for around $42.

Otherwise, to get the old paint of you might have to media blast it. Since, you want to paint it, a brush (or old toothbrush) and some kind of cleaner should work.

·
Junior Charter Member
68 Posts
Have you tried using a little brake fluid? I wouldn't submerge it, but try a little DOT 3 on a small foam brush, and work it into the corners that way. It should loosen up the paint pretty good. After that, hit it with brake cleaner again and most of the old paint should come off.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Go to a paint supply store and pick up some paint remover. Brush it on and let it sit for awhile. May still need to use a small wire brush in some places but it will come off. Dupli Color makes a real nice aluminum color engine paint that looks exsactly like alum. Not that silver look,but dull aluminum.

·
Master Blaster
170 Posts
Loctite Gasket Remover will work the best, spray on and let sit for 10-15 min rinse remover off, then use compressed air to get all the loose paint off

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Jessie i had the same problem, all the nooks and crannies. eventually, i gave up. if you do too, it seems the BOSCH waterpump has the best casting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.