Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be posted in off topic but I know that most of the searches seem to happen in the cobra forum. At least until more coupe and GTM guys end up dominating. :D

Often I'm very frustrated when I try to search. I may use specific phrases and/or words and I don't get a hit. I may use generic phrases and/or words and I'll get pages..... Must be a trick to this.

I must be missing something on the archive searches. How do I get into past years? I know I must be overlooking something simple.

May I make a comment on the subject line? (Why yes Mike, this is your post.) Thanks Mike. I really try to be specific when I post a topic if I think it might have info somebody else might get some benefit from. My humble opinion as a fumbling search user I find the subject lines like "Look at This" or "Oh my God" to be great for fun stuff that might not have much to do with the build but they really are time consuming to sort thru a list with 30 others when they come up on a search for a fuel gauge problem or fan relay. :mad:

OK, end of my mini rant. Thanks so much to you guys posting your ideas and mistakes. I really want you to know how much better you have made the builds for us that follow. Now if you experienced forum hanger outers can share your wisdom on how you INSTANTLY can find the answer to a newbie question and keep the rest of us so informed.

Thanks,
Mike M.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
985 Posts
I've been searching a lot lately myself. It can get frustrating. There's a lot of good info. It just takes a lot of time to find some of it.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Al, I know I rant a bit about the time it takes to find something under a goofy subject line but when I back up and think. Hey, at least the information is there. If it takes me 45 min to search thru every one of the subject lines then that is still less time than it would take if the info wasn't there at all!

Mike M.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
I don't know about finding answers instantly, but to get into the past years there is a drop down menu next to "Search Forum" scroll almost to the bottom and you will see the archives by year. Each one needs to be searched separately.

Todd

·
2,990 Posts
Mike,

I have searched for things that I have posted using words I knew I used and came up with no hits. Try using fewer words but more words then just ‘Donor” or ‘5.0”. Read the posts you get and keep track of how the builders refer to what you are searching for including miss spellings then use those words in your search. Also use the public display name in the search if you know who posted what you are looking for. As you already know if all else fails use a one word search and look thru lots of stuff. The Archives are at the bottom of the forums list. I search there all the time and find most of what I am looking for. It’s amazing how time flies and what I thought was in 2007 ends up being in the 2006 or even 2005 archives.

·
Junior Charter Member
30 Posts
Perl, I've got many, many bookmarks from postings by you. You do an excellent job of putting links to great info in your responses. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Huck, I find lots of good things mis-spelled, as Perl pointed out. Especially Hydra/Hydro boost, breaks (brakes), etc.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by toddr:
I don't know about finding answers instantly, but to get into the past years there is a drop down menu next to "Search Forum" scroll almost to the bottom and you will see the archives by year. Each one needs to be searched separately.

Todd
Todd, I just tried again under the search button at the top of the page under the heading that says "Post A Reply". I can't find anything that shows past years. The scroll down date shows any date (but only does current year) and then has past 30 days etc. Maybe I'm in the wrong menu and using the wrong button.

Mike M.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Perl:
The Archives are at the bottom of the forums list.
I found it! I found it! Thanks Perl. I was always searching from the link at the top of the page. This will help a lot.

Now if we could just band together and rasberry everybody that posts a stupid subject line when it is an important topic..... I'm 99% joking! :D

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Mike,

Another technique I use that helps overcome some issue is to try and be 'creative' when it comes to using word combinations.

A good example is if you are looking for something to do with the emergency brake.

Because there are so many ways to refer to and spell it (emergency brake, e-brake, parking brake etc.), sometimes typing it in how YOU would refer to it can limit the number of posts you find.

If you combine the common names of at least two component parts, your search may be more successful.

Example: instead of 'emergency brake', try using 'brake cable' and you may net a lot more posts since these words often go hand in glove somewhere in the posts' text. If you need to narrow it down (to get to a more specific issue like tensioing the cable) try adding a third common word like 'tension' etc.

Just my thoughts on what has worked for me.

Sean

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you're using Firefox (and imbedded Google search), just open up a new tab and enter into the search box

(your search words) site:ffcars.com

without parens.

It is almost instant, you can change your search criteria afterward easily, and it will correct any misspellings.

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Guys, one of the best ways to search FFCars.com is to use the Google Search tool at the bottom of EVERY post. Look down now. Ok, now check the box that says "www.ffcars.com" and do a search for e-brake.

Notice that it shows you the link AND a little of the text in the search? This is very helpful because now you get to see a teaser of the page it found. AND this searches every page on FFCars.com, including the FAQ.

- Bill

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
I seem to have more success when I choose "Search in - Subject only" I find the "entire message" search shows me too many threads that only mention what I am looking for, but "Subject only" finds me specific threads on what I need. It may take a few attempts, and if not then I post a new thread!

Good Luck!
Rich

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, this has really helped.

Bill. Extra thanks, I never knew that the google function was there. I just assumed it was a link to the regular google.

Mike M.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Originally posted by Bill:
Guys, one of the best ways to search FFCars.com is to use the Google Search tool at the bottom of EVERY post. Look down now. Ok, now check the box that says "www.ffcars.com" and do a search for e-brake.

Notice that it shows you the link AND a little of the text in the search? This is very helpful because now you get to see a teaser of the page it found. AND this searches every page on FFCars.com, including the FAQ.

- Bill
See that, you learn something new all the time. This is pretty cool.

·
FFCobra Owner
865 Posts
Mike....one more option.
Larry Johnson once put on a Handy Post list....and had just about everything you need..not sure if it is updated....but I used it before..and hope that someone updates it...cause it was in catagories......and very fast helping.
hope that helps..........
fred z :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.