Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

great photos above provided by ???? but how can you cut them straight? i have all sorts of tools but i can't figure out how to cut the slot in the tube.

p.s. i can bring my $30,100 total back down to $30,056.14 f i can pull this off!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I would cut the length,
(pipe resting in a V block)
Set it cut side on the band saw table
Cut
Use V shaped push block

Or
Vise the ends with the edge to be cut up
cut with hand coping saw

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know what color george washington's white horse was, but what's a V-block?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,726 Posts
I have the two that came w/ my PS rack from Breeze you can have if you PM or email me your address.I just went out to look at them to get a dimension.They are about 1/2 inch thick.BUT-they are a piece cut off a pvc and then just one cut through that piece.You are supposed to spread them apart and snap them into place.They look a lot like the ones above w/ the caliper but, instead of making two cuts so a piece can be removed there is just one cut and nothing removed.Oh, and they are definately not a perfect cut cause thickness varies maybe a 1/16 inch around the circumference. You can make duplicates w/ a hacksaw.

·
Tool Collector
6,608 Posts
Eddie, If you have the PVC, I've got some time on Sat. You could bring them over and I'm sure with a combination of saws, we can get a number of them cut to different lengths so you can try out a few. Just let me know

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Hi Eddie,

Use a mill! Both Canonball Paul & I have one. I will be around this weekend if you want me to mill it for you.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Eddie,

I clamped my PVC pipe in a vice, used a hacksaw to make the long straight cuts. Cleaned them up with a dremel and then cut them to the desired length based on my dimensions. Mine were not the same length on both sides. Since you will never see them again, I didn't fuss too much over how they looked. Snapped them on and clamped the boot back on with a hose clamp from NAPA.

HTH,

John

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Chop saw (mitre saw). Guaranteed perfect thickness all of the way through thaen a junior hacksaw,
Steve

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
V block - a V shaped groove in a block (I make them out of scrap 2x4 or similar). You can hold a round pipe in the groove while you slide the block across a saw table. Safer than free handing round stock on a power saw.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
ive pulverised several PVC spacers on my car over the years. i cut the slot as small as i can and still get it over the tube. the narrow spacer will pop right off id think.

the rack is strong enough to pound a thick walled tube into a mushroom shape. any thicker and it there is no way to get it over the rackyube. will have to make of metal i think.

james

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
After a few months of driving my car, I can tell you that I do not have steering travel stops, nor do I need them. My setup: 15-inch 4-bolt Halibrand replicas with BFG tires. Other combinations certainly face different circumstances.

Even if I needed them, I am not sure I would chose to limit turning radius. It must be fairly easy to learn how sharply you can turn without scuffing. In order to be effective, the steering stops need to limit wheel movement even further, just shy of the scuff point. Why bother?...or only add them later once you have driven the car and can tell whether and how much you have a problem.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi pierre

i thought the same thing. i removed my tires a week ago for the first time in a long time, and i could not believe what i saw!

i suppose the only reason i want to add these bump stops is because i want to eventually unercoat the wheel wells, and i don't want it scraping off.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
on my car, the wheel hits the upper a-arm and could possibly cut the brake line. also, it is possible for the steering arm to interfere with the spring. it can be hard to tell exactly where everything will hit under stress and at extremes of steering, compression and droop.

my car is modified from stock quite a bit so others may not have this problem. i did not have a problem with the stock configuration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts