Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the FFR hood hinge kit. I mounted the frame to the hood. Did anyone cover this with fiberglass. It doesnt not look that nice - see picture below.

·
7,097 Posts
I painted mine silver then cleadred it. Painted the underside of the hood black. The contrast works well with the rest of my engine (black & silver)

·
Junior Charter Member
112 Posts
Mine was coated in fiberglass and painted. Not by me though. It started cracking where the two bumps are on the bracket. When you open the hood it will flex the bracket and cause it to crack. I dont know if i would recomend it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My body guy cut a sheet of black rubber foam insulation to fit nicely and painted a coiled cobra on it. Looks great, plus protects the paint from the engine heat.

Tanner

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Low-buck here: I just painted it flat black. How often do you show off the underside of your hood?

Drive on!

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smackdown,

Did the guy use bondo to fill in the gaps and seems - it looks great.

If I bring my car to shows I will have the hood open. I wanted to make it look nice.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
I bonded mine on with West System Epoxy. Then I covered the whole underside with a couple of coats and sanded. When I painted the underside, I mixed some flatner into the paint. That way I got a respectable finish that matches the body color and is washable, but without spending more time than I wanted to spend on that area.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
Has anybody tried putting a sheet of aluminum on the inside of the hood? I was thinking about doing it so that I could cut a hole in the aluminum that would fit around the air cleaner. Figured I could build a small tray under the air cleaner with some foam to seal it to the aluminum inner hood so that the engine only breathes through the scoop. Has anyone tried something like this?

Kevin

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess the hoop part of the hinge stiffens the hood when you lift it using one of the latch handles. The hood weighs 40-50 lbs. now, it seems a little ridiculous.

how do I mount the hinge assemlby to the frame. I have two plates for the hood pins that oviously have to go. It looks like a mounting plate was added to each side of the frame????

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I don't have any pics, but sand it, coat with Epoxy and let harden, sand it again, coat with epoxy and let harden, repeat as necessary and spend some time at it. For final work, I used a glass filled body filler. It's not perfect, but it's smooth and it looks pretty nice. I painted mine body color.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts