Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some "dry-fitting" on the Coupe. How does my dash-steering shaft-steering wheel location compare to yours?

Pictures or measurements would be nice - as well as how the car looked when you finished this stage. The steering shaft is closer to the passenger side, as you can see from the Factory-supplied, pre-drilled dashboard. I will either patch the ugly hole (trim ring/gasket?) or make a new plate for the front of the dash.

I will be using the "modern" Autometer gauges, which are smaller than the vintage units.

Here are some images of my setup.

Thanks.....

·
Junior Charter Member
292 Posts
On my coupe at the top edge of the dash my steering wheel rim is 3 1/2" from dash. It all depends where you position your seat and where it feels good to you. Too close and your knuckles will hit the dash. It was at 4" untill I moved my seat.
Bill

·
7,838 Posts
You may want to send those pictures of your dash to FFR Mine was way off. The other direction though. Its not the Dash. They are welding the bearing mount in the wrong spot. This needs to be corrected. I moved the bearing over rather then modifying the dash. The steering shaft was touching the pedal box, do I had no choice.

Also the steering hub should not protrude beyond the face of the dash. It wont hurt anything but you wheel will be much too close to the dash.

Mike

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
As stated above, mine is about twice that distance. It may be the photo, but it looks like you could hit your knuckles on the dash when turning the steering wheel.

Rob

·
Junior Charter Member
149 Posts
Steering wheel clearance

I used the Russ Thompson turn signal set up which comes with a column tube and determines the steering wheel location with plenty of distance to the dash.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts