Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my car for the first go-kart ride today. Even with a mild 302, I can see this thing will be a handful. Step down a little, and the tires break loose. How can you drive a big block??

·
3,645 Posts
very carefully. my first go-cart will be tomorrow afternoon :eek:

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I believe the proper term is "stab and steer" :D

Seriously, I agree with you. I can't imagine driving one of these things with anything much over 351 cubic inches in it. Ok... yes I can.....but......

·
Charter Member
190 Posts
Would you rather be with a mild woman, or a wild woman?

Same for the car, either you can, or you can't.

It is an experience everytime that is unequaled in our world. Having so much horsepower is like a gift, that has to be cherised and nurtured, and not ever abused. There are life-threatening consequences to being over-confident. But, gosh
the rush of the supercharger and blower running at full blast, having 6000 rpms showing, is a rush you cannot describe.

Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
711 Posts
Ed
Scared the heck out of myself my 1st go-kart ride, the seat wasn't bolted down, the gas pedal was very sensitive and it was my 1st experience with manual disc brakes, you could see my smile from down the block.
I loved it. I bolted down the seat, took the slop out of the throttle linkage and adjusted the ride height. You could still see my smile from a block away.
After the car was on the road for 2 or 3 monthes I started thinking maybe a little more power and bigger, stickier tires wouldn't be too bad an idea.
I have since sold my roadster and am collecting parts for a coupe which I hope to order very soon.
mannyjoe

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
Tires and suspension have everything to do with this. Don’t even consider 15” wheels and BFG Radial TAs with a stock 4-link if you are building a high horsepower car. You need very sticky tires (17” x 275 or 315 Nitto Drag Radials would be a good start), and an IRS, 3-link, or Autoweld upper arms if you have a 4-link.

Kevin

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Don't forget that you will be adding several hundred pounds by the time the car is finished: seats, body, doors, trunk, hood, windshield, roll bar(s), carpet, extinguisher?, radio?, tool kit, etc. It will not be quite so twitchy when it is finished.

Frank n Sons.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It is amazingly easy to drive the BB. You just train your right foot to use the gentlest of touches for cruising and day-to-day driving. For the most part, a BB can be driven like any other car. You just need to respect the extra power and being fully cognizant of what's going to happen when you decide to open the chute.

·
Junior Charter Member
93 Posts
Quote:

Get In and Hang On.

I like that

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,736 Posts
Hi Ed
Little off your post but what the hay... A while back you refered to Boston area dealers putting on a driving class for new drivers. Which ones? My teenager could use some instruction.
Thanks
BillB

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw an article in the Globe about it a few months ago. It's sponsored by the MA auto dealers association. I'm looking for more info on it myself.

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
I drive my 500 horse machine with a grin from ear to ear! Just have to respect the power and not get carried away with the right foot.

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy Ed,

I did have a '71 Dodge R/T Charger w/ a 440Magnum
bout [email protected]'s. I had the car stripped down for a restoration and decided to give it a little spin down the road. I figured the car weighed around 2900lbs and w/ 4:30 gears and 295/50-15's it was a hoot to drive! :D It was actually faster w/ 3:55 gears on street tires because of less wheel spin.

Paul

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.