Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
This is nothing too informative. Just a rant / vent.

I'm all for the DIY and learning about building engines etc, but I have to tell you this latest build is driving me NUTS!! Everything is weird / wrong and has to be done twice on this motor.

I currently have:
1 set of unusable rings for one cyl ( took too much off )
2 sets of spark plugs ( one set is the right one )
2 sets of head gaskets ( one is on the motor and I don't trust the other set ).
1 extra "modified" oil pump pickup for a 351W Crown Vic ( don't ask )
1 remains of a Milodon windage tray mounting kit with 1 stud missing ( used for the pickup mounting strap )

2 Damper spacers ( ordering the right one tomorrow - they only make three different sizes and I have the two incorrect ones - three strikes rule? )

I discovered tonight my March 351W alt kit isn't working properly with my 3G alternator - I need an 8" adjusting rod and the kit came with a shorty for use with a 2G alt which has a different housing. The 3G alt housing is hitting the T-stat elbow.

Other than that, it's been one hell of a good time! I'm just waiting to order and then re-order whatever comes next.

Frustrated but plodding through it.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
I have the crank pulley spacer and stud & nut kit if you still need one. The nuts are 12 point so it clears the pulley with a wrench.
Mike Forte

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,
I'm using Crown Vic pulleys - plenty of room for a hex on these huge things.

I also have a set of the Ford Racing valve cover gaskets that won't work with my valve covers ( Edelbrock ).

Some of this stuff will end up in the classifieds.

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
For the alternator, let it swing around 180* so it sits low on the engine. Then you can probably find a better mounting point for the adjuster. Or make one.

Moving the alternator down also gives the V belt a better grip on the water pump pulley.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Hey, those are minor!! Try having to spend $4200 to rebuild a motor after 20 minutes of running. Now THAT'S frsutration.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Due to all the aforementioned, I'm all for turn key or at least crate engine. This is one place I would pay for other's expert experience. However, it is a learning experience....

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I was all for the DIY as well after doing many short block I wanted the experience of a total engine build. After thinking of what I wanted (351 based 427) I knew I was not skilled enough non had the tools to make it an affordable idea.

in the end 2fast's gremlins and the many other deboogles like Andy the Butcher (Anyone hear from him lately?) I like others went to seek professional help!!!!!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I hate to say this but 2fast and wurf had problems that make mine very small.

Sorry guys

Dan

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Wurf...just think of it this way... you'll be well stocked for the next Cobra parts swap meet! :D

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ken that's almost not funny. I've been thinking and I have an extra 351W block, crank, and rods. I've actually considered how much extra stuff I'll have, and just keeping it for this other motor. I have another timing cover, matching water pump, home ported E7TE heads, a set of valve covers, stock rockers, a camshaft, and with the left over gaskets, pickup tube, etc...it's not that far from a complete motor. I'd need some machining, new pistons, an intake and carb, a distributor, and that's about it!

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
Wurf,
You know, FFR has this really nice coupe kit also. Just figured that instead of a garage sale.........

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts