Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Yeah, I did most of my house last year, about the same size. I just paid $2700 to finish the second story and the trim up under the eaves. I'm not afraid of heights, just of falling from them!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Holy Carp? What does fish have to do with it? ;)

As in most things in construction it is best to get 3 bids to see which way the wind blows. Cheapest isn't always best, most expensive isn't always the one to throw out.
Check to see what is included in each bid- Sealer, primer, how many coats of top coat, grade of paint, etc...
Also, be absolutely sure that your contractor has the proper license and insurance. If a painter falls off a ladder on your property and the company doesn't have insurance, guess who gets to pay the bills- including attorney's fees. Never let a construction contractor on your property without a "certificate of insurance" and "certificate of workmen's compensation insurance" in your hot little hands with you listed under "additional insured".

CHECK REFERENCES

A good $4000 job will probably last longer, require less maintenance, and look better than a cheap $3000 job.

·
Cobra Poor
686 Posts
My 3 story (22'x35') victorian was quoted from $6800 to $19000 (6800 was by far the cheapest) 4 years ago when it was time to get painted. These were all scrape and paint jobs, not strip and paint. I paid the $6800 and pissed and moaned the whole time the painters were there. The only reason I paid it was that it was 36' to the peak and I wasn't going that high on a ladder.

I bought the house next door and rehabbed it and when it came time for paint, I rented a 45' articulated boom lift for $800 a week, bought 20 gallons of primer, 15 gallons of paint for $300 and prepped, primed, and painted the house in 4 days.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
$5,000 to $8,000 for 3,600 sf house in our neighborhood. We bought our house new and it was done with Sherwin Williams (premium) stain. So far its been 8 years with no fading, chipping, or chalking - and this is a rough climate.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
About 5 years ago I lost my job...used the two weeks it took to get another job to paint my house. In My street people are paying $6K-10K for house painting...
I have heard some horror stories of painters screwing up.
We hired a painter to paint out bedroom, he charged $20 per hour. I figured that I make more than that, so it was a good deal. He took 3 days to do what would have taken me a day, worked out more like $60 an hour because of the time he took!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Paul,

I have a friend with a cape that paints one side himself every summer. That's a managable project and on average, the house looks good!

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
"Sounds like how I'm building my car..... "

Yes but he doesn't strip the entire house down to the frame and turn it into a saltbox Colonial every few months!

Sorry Paul Had to throw that one in there!

·
4,703 Posts
I would spray it in one day.
You will use more paint, but your trading paint for time. With a sprayer, you can fly. And around 2500psi will hit places a brush can't.
I once had a house painted in Colorado. I hired a guy to do it on a Saturday, I told him I would help when I got home around 11:00 from my kids soccer game. The windows were covered plastic before I left.
When I returned he was cleaning his sprayer.Amazing!
Contact me for more info.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,270 Posts
You can knock out alot of area, with 2 people going at it, in a very short amount of time. I usually spend the day before masking everything off, then hire a buddy to help move paint around and follow behind me with a roller. Airless sprayers work great!

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
I moved house a couple of years ago - it had the crappy LP siding on it, so rather than take the hit at selling time I re-sided the whole house myself with the help of one friend! So the siding was just ready for paint. I drove around the neighborhood until I found a new development and found the guys doing the painting of all the new houses - I provided the paint, and they masked it all off, painted it in a day on the weekend, and cleaned up for $400 and I gave them a $50 tip!
Helluva deal for a professional paint job

1 - 13 of 13 Posts