Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. Here’s the situation:

Have a ceiling mounted light in the breakfast area powered by a wall switch.

Had to run power to a ring camera that’s outside above a sliding door. The only easy option was to put a junction box above the light. Worked fine until the camera alarm started going off (some type of error). With no way to power off the camera, we just disconnected the power in the junction box.

Running a second wall switch didn’t seem like an easy option and there aren’t any other exterior wall power spices to jump off of ( the I could run a switch to).

Is there such a thing as a remote power switch to put above the ceiling mounted light so we can turn off the camera if needed?

This is in a second home and of course the problem happened when we weren’t there, so the neighbors would up listening to the alarm for a few hours.

Wall switch is on what used to be the exterior brick wall on the left side. And the ring camera is outside above the sliding door. I guess I could have bought a solar powered camera and might change it out if u can’t figure out how to cut power with some type of remote if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior Charter Member
1,767 Posts
Interesting problem. The only thing I can think of would be a remote activated switch but I believe most if not all of those need to be mounted in a box which would add another level of problem. I suppose if the camera is or could be mounted on a big enough exterior box the switch could put inside it to make it not easily accessable. Probably not enough room in the cieling box for it. Hopefully one of our resident sparky types will see this and chime in.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
22,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
958 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
6,097 Posts
Recently saw an episode of ATOH where they have remote switches that you can put right next to a regular switch. Doesn't even need to go into a box, just turns a regular looking wall plate into a double. I guess you would have to spend some time googling.

Also, not quite sure of all your issues but why can't you just put a double switch (see link) into the existing box and run wires?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,767 Posts
Dan, how about adding a box in the ceiling next/close to the box for the light to accept one of the remote smart switchs then cover it with a round ceiling medallion above the upper light cover cone. They come in quite a few designs from fancy to plain jane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts