Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to wondering if we could use a heavy duty tie wrap and the gun to tighten them to attach hoses. If this would be tight enough and wide enough not to cut the hose, they could be easily removed and replaced. A couple of tie wraps would certainly be usable as a temporary or emergency solution for a broken clamp...debate?
Steve

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
What is the benefit over a standard hose clamp?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Standard hose clamps are harder to tighten without deforming and stripping. They are also plug ugly. Tie wraps can also be bought cheaply in many colors and sizes
Steve

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
I've used some industrial tie wraps almost a half inch wide with something like 800 lbs tensile strength to strap a transmission to a pallet before. I got them at a bolt supply store called Fastenal here in FL.

I would think those would work, but they weren't cheap...

HTH...
Mark

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I'd worry that they would deform with the constant heat/cool down cycles.

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
How can you get a zip tie tight? I see your point, but the applications would be very limited. The screw on a hose clamp provides a great deal of mechanical advantage (lots of movement on the wrench for little movement on the band). On the order of 200:1. That's using a 6" extension, with 16 tpi on the screw, and losing 2/3 work to friction.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
The plastic tie wrap sure would stretch more than the worm-drive metal band when heated from hot coolant passing by.

Of all the hose clamps I've used, I still think the best are the spring-type that were on the donor car, the kind you simply open up with pliers. Fast, easy, and they stay very tight.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
I wonder how the plastic would perform through the many heat cycles. I guess that is the point, when you are a trail blazer it comes with risk of doing something that hasn't been tried before and perhaps for good reason, but maybe not.

·
2,860 Posts
McMaster-Carr Page 241

Constant-Tension Lined Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps

As temperature changes cause hose and tube to expand and contract, the compressed springs in these clamps increase or decrease the clamp diameter. This automatic compensation for temperature fluctuations reduces leaks and eliminates the need for retightening. Clamps have an extended band that acts as a liner to protect hose covers. Clamps are reusable.
Clamps have good corrosion resistance, except for zinc-plated screws, which have fair corrosion resistance. All have Type 301 stainless steel springs. Band is 0.028" thick. Temperature range is -50° to +250° F. Meet SAE J1508.
9/16" Band Width Clamps— Band is Type 301 stainless steel. Housing is Type 302 stainless steel. Screw tightens with a wrench or 5/16" hex nutdriver. Torque is 50 in.-lbs.
5/8" Band Width Clamps— Band and housing are Type 304 stainless steel. Screw tightens with a wrench or 3/8" hex nutdriver. Torque is 90 in.-lbs.
Note: When choosing a clamp, measure the outside diameter of your hose with the fitting installed.

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
These are the ones referred to above.

Instead, I'd reccomend the Type 430 Stainless Steel Nonperforated Worm-Drive Hose and Tube Clamps. Also known as smooth band clamps, these have a nonperforated band with rolled edges to prevent damage to hose and tube. Clamps are reusable. Band is 3/8" wide and 0.024" thick. Tighten screw with a slotted screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, or 9/32" (7 mm) hex nutdriver. Temp. range is -40° to +350°. Page 239 McMaster-Carr

Hank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts