Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good pictures of how you did your hood prop? Not the piston style, just a rod to hold the hood up. I think I want to go that way with my Mark I style hood hinge. Also, where did you get your prop and what did it cost? Thanks.

·
Junior Charter Member
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried their web site and it wasn't there. I E-mailed them and have not received a response. Any other ideas folks?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Mike at tristates is easier to get on the phone. I suggest you give him a call.

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
I went to the local boneyard and picked up a late model prop rod and found a metal (not plastic) holding clip for when the rod is not being used. Used sandpaper to remove the paint and then polished it. Fabricated two "L" shaped brackets. One is mounted to the top of the driver side footbox.

The other bracket is mounted under the hood retaining paddle. Drilled a hole and inserted a clevis pin in the end of the rod to hold it in the bracket when supporting the hood.

The metal retaining clip for holding the rod when not in use is secured to one of the bolts of the hinge bracket on hood front and keeps it out of the way and secure. Didn't cost me anything except time.
JimmyZ

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
I did mine a bit different, I started with a prop rod mounted to one side like these shown but found the hood cocked to one side due to the ffr hinge. I moved the prop to the center and it works great, hood doesn't cock and you can close the hood from either side.
I made the rod from 5/16 round aluminum and put a slight bend in it to clear the upper manifold.
When down it snaps into a retaining clip on one of my radiator shrouds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts