Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am still getting my head wrapped around he cobra. Id like to install Hood pins at the rear of the hood. I get drilling a couple of holes in the hood, easy enough and I've seen the location spots from others on the site here. But where and how do you mount the bottom portion, the rod that sticks up thru the hood holes. Where do you mount those?? Are there brackets that mount somewhere and they go on that? I am at a loss. Thanks one and all for your help. Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I need to build my own brackets that's fine. I'm just unsure of where to mount them. Nervous of fiberglass and I do not want to mess up my paint. Pics would be nice if any. Thanks, Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
736 Posts
What’s the reason for wanting pins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the look. It's sexy. I just need to know where the pins mount at the back. And how.

·
Not a waxer
11,917 Posts
Almost nobody installs pins but in the rare instances when they used are a pair of pins are located at the front of the hood and the locking latches are at the rear. Factory Five provides hood pin mounts for the front with every kit but since most don't use them (actually a common forum question is "What are these?" with a photo of the mounts) there are literally thousands of them out there gathering dust. Post a "want to buy" in the classifieds and you'll turn up a set...or 10 :D As I said FFR doesn't set them up to use pins at the rear of the hood so if you decide to go that route you'll be on your own to fabricate mounts. Just something to keep in mind is that some of the owners who have gone the unhinged hood route report that the on and off and storage of the hood when it's removed often results in damaged paint.

Jeff

·
Actual builder now!
1,485 Posts
I installed the pins (am I the only one Jeff?). partly because they came with the kit and they look good and partly because I was on a tight budget and anything that could be upgraded later was left to be upgraded later. Jeff is correct. They go at the front and the brackets are provided and I think mentioned in the manual. Another deciding factor was that a fellow builder told me that installing and lining up the optional hinges was one of the most difficult parts of the build. Downside to pins is that to access the engine you need to remove and store the hood somewhere every time.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,847 Posts
What Jeff said . . . and I can tell you from my own personal experience, having to remove the hood every time I wanted to get to the engine or show it off at a show, and having to find a place to store it while off is what made me convert my MK-II to a hood hinge early in its life. That being said, I do agree with the idea of the hood pins make it look more like a race car and in that thought pattern, I made my hood pins a part of the hood for looks only. The hinge was the primary means of lifting the hood but the pins were no longer functional.

The paint chipping and other things that happened when my hood was pinned are long gone and not missed at all . . .

Doc

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,612 Posts
How about a couple of these attached (HSRF?) to the underside of the body and then a 1/4x1 piece of aluminum flat bar installed so it cuts across the rear corners of the hood opening. The hood pin installed in a hole in the aluminum bar.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just like the look of the pins, not gonna remove the hood. I have the hinges and gas struts to hold it up. I just like the look, call me weird, I like them. Just curious how to mount them? In the rear, not the front. Thanks for all the input guys. Mike

Reactions: EbourqueIII

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now thats what I was kind of thinking, thanks guys, Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
The guys at Bad Obsession Motorsport, of Project Binky fame, have a good visual guide on how to locate and mount hood pins:

·
Premium Member
6,411 Posts
Well, I like the hood pins, too...I think it gives a nostalgic look of 60's race cars...I have attached a photo of my Mk2 with hood up:

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, I like the look a lot. Very nice. Thank you. Mike

·
Official OLD GUY
3,847 Posts
Mr. Barry's is exactly what mine looks like . . . only in blue. Ha Ha Ha - ABC.

free image uploader

Doc

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice once again. I sure do like the look a lot. Thanks for the ideas my friends. Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts