Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night that the with the FFR hood hinge and an FE motor, the mounting bracket for the gas strut on the hood backing plate hits the coolant line going into the overflow tank. I'm not such a fan of the gas struts anyway, so I wanted to see if anyone has fashioned a good ole prop rod system that is "manually" operated. What I mean is a rod that lays flat in parallel to the frame rail when the hood is closed and when it's opened gets lifted up (i.e. it's bolted down on the side towards the cabin) and then sits in a small trough in the hood backing plate... "old-skool" :)

Thanks,

Tim TT

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Can't help you on the prop rod idea, but if you decide to try to make the struts work, you might be able to trim the triangular mounting bracket back and mount another ball stud. I had to do that because the bracket interfered w/ my Vortech. I trimmed all but about 3/4" of the bracket and used a new ball stud from the local parts store. Gains you about 1.5-2" of clearance.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I opted to not use the struts as well. I plan to use some type of prop-rod mechanism. I haven't totally figured it out yet. My painter is working on trying to figure something out as well. Right now I am thinking of something that could be attached to the 3/4" tube below the hood opening near the passenger's footbox that would swing up and catch on the hood latch. Some I have seen use some other type of classed in item to catch the prop rod on the hood. If I can rig up some type of catch that uses the hood latch it will eliminate any other need. If it doesn't work them I guess I am just screwed :rolleyes: . I think that sometype of rod with a horseshoe type thing on the end that has an opening big enough to fit over the lower part of the hinge but not slip off when the hood lowers and it goes up closer to the hood. I would then plasti-dip the end of the proprod. The painter is confident it can be done and has done some in the past. I will post pics when it is completed.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.