Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Happy New Year everyone !!

Building a Mk4 ..
Just drilled the hood for the latches. But I'm thinking I have the wrong brackets that mount under the cowl lip.
This picture below shows the 2 steel chrome brackets I have, and the picture in the middle is from the build manual showing an aluminum bracket.
Do I have something wrong or was it changed?
thanks, Ron

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
i can't see any pictures Ron, but i have never seen Chrome brackets of any sort used for the hood latch. Sure they aren't the un-used ones from the door latch that your looking at?

· Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
I have a MK III and maybe a MK IV is different, but the metal pieces on mine that mount under the cowl are L shaped pieces of aluminum.

· Registered
6,092 Posts
I've only seen the brackets from FFR similar to the center one as well. Actually the ones I received didn't even have the rounded corners. Don't recognize the pictured chrome brackets either.

Here's a hint I saw somewhere else, and used on my Mk3 build. Cut an inverted "V" in the brackets matching the profile of the paddles on the hood latches. Works really well to center the latches and keep them in place. This isn't the greatest picture, but you can see them along the hood opening. I hit them with the buffing wheel before installing, so look nice and shiny.

· Registered
6,092 Posts
Can someone please give me the dimensions of that aluminum bracket? I'll just make one.
thanks !
I'd love to help with exact dimensions, but my car's in winter storage for the next several months. :sad: I don't think the dimensions are critical. As I recall, 1 inch angle aluminum by probably 1-3/4 to 2 inches long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.