Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A hate to ask this, as I'm sure I am not the only one who has had this problem seeing how poor some of the tolerances are on the coupe but here goes.

My body is sitting well on the frame and the hood is lined up well with the body. By lines up I am talking about the front wheel wells of the hood are lined up with the body.

However, the openings for the hood latch are too far forward to line up with the latch brackets on the frame. Door handle Hardware accessory

What have others done to resolve this? I'm thinking of modifying the U-bolt.

Carl

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Mine look almost like that and the latch catches just fine. If it didn't, I'd bend the U a little as you said to move it in the right direction.

I actually DID have to bend the U-bolt in the rear for the hatch latch to work. In that case, the U is bent toward the front of the car just a little.

<edit>One more thing, make sure you have the lower splash guards at least temporarily connected to the chassis and the pontoons before you call the location of the hood final (and before bending that U-bolt). The splash guards push the pontoons out and back just a little. When you slide the hood to re-align the wheel well opening, you might just discover this problem has fixed itself.</edit>

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
As I recall, my latch caught the U bolt at the very front of it. I agree with the last post...make sure you have the pontoons in the correct position using both the wheel well aluminum and the steel pontoon brackets. Just a little torque will move the wheel well portion enough to make a difference.

Marc

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem solved.

I decided to make what I would like to call a P-bolt. This should give me plenty of room. Font C-clamp Metal Tool

Using some old school black smithing skills :)

Thanks guys, I knew the latches were close to the corners of the bolt, but this gives me much more leeway.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow, I really like your solution. Mine are at the very front edge too, and do cause me some grief from time to time. If you don't mind, I think I'm going to try to copy your idea!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.