Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to intalling my Mark I style hood hoop. Measured and re-checked everything three times, marked and drilled the holes, bolted it up and laid the hood back on the car. Now it doesn't want to fit right. The edge on the passenger side near the front of the hood wants to stick up above the body. I can push it down and hold it in and everything seems to line up okay, until I let go. Any ideas how to correct this? :confused:

·
Charter Member
625 Posts
While I'm not at that point yet, I've read quite a few posts where care must be given to form the hoop to closely match the hood's radius before you bolt it on. If you do a search on the topic you should find quite a few hits since this is apparently a common problem.

HTH

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
I got done with my MkI about a month ago. I fiberglassed it in and it didn't fit right. I tore all the fiberglass that held the hoop on, off, which took a while.

Try laying the hood on with out the hoop if you can. Does the hood still "stick up" at the front passenger side? If it doesn't then all you have to do is bend the metal hoop. Bending is a PITA. Others have cut some metal to get the hoop to lay flat and then welded the parts together.

I did some research and some guys have installed brackets to the underside of the hood. They then pull on these brackets to get the hood to conform.

I was going to go with the clean.... bonded.....to the metal hoop look but I put stainless button head bolts through the hood and I like the look. IMHO the bolts make the car look older much like the exposed hinges on the trunk. The more I think about vibrations and the possiblity of the hood coming off at high speed the more the bolts make sense.

Tifford

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Hang in there. The hood is a project but you'll get it.

Tifford

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Gil,
If the shape and countour is basicallly OK and you only have one area slightly high on the hood relative to the body, try putting a piece of aluminum bar stock (1/4") between the body hood opening area and the frame rail. Or you can try using a piece of paint stirer (1/8") first to try and get the right thickness and then make up a piece of correct thickness aluminum or suitable material. The body is pretty flexible and It can be raised slightly with out stressing the glass to get it to fit the hood countour. You won't see it if you tuck it in far enough and you can attach it to the rail later permenantly.
Bob Mac
FFR3981

1 - 5 of 5 Posts