Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is driving me nuts guys I cant get them to fit! Please let me know what im doing wrong! my brk on the hood seam to be off center by more then one inch (that would probably solved my problem if I would relocate them (re-drill them) What do you think? I can get the hood to fit left to right pretty good , but cannot get it to fit front to back (wont seat in its place correctly)

Attachments

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hood hinge follow up

More pics to help the diagnostic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
To start out with, I'm assuming that you have them put together correctly. I haven't had the time to go look at the photos in the archives to make sure your hinges match the correct assembly photos.

I had the same problem.. The front not wanting to go all the way down is a common issue. Here is the quick solution. Loosen the adjustments, close the hood and have someone push down on the hood. (I assume that you're using the carriage bolts) Then go under the car and tighten the nuts. If you still than have the front of the hood sitting too high, with the hood open, carefully loosen the up/down adjustment bolts and slightly bump it down a little at a time and the tighten it back up and check. After you loosen the bolts be careful not to let it slide way up or way down completely out of adjustment. Make sense?

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hinges

I double check the build book and the build site and all seems to be where it should be....

Ill try tomorrow the methode proposed (loosen all and close the hood) ill let you know. Im open to all sugestions on this one...

I just need to re-install one braket (came off while i was trying to fit the hood!!!)

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had the same situation untill I trimmed the hood narrower to get the gaps correct.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Carriage bolts... Sheesh that's a novel idea... Mine came with button head bolts that I fought for hours.
D
It's an old trick mentioned over and over in the Archives. It requires another trip to the hardware store, because as you mentioned, FFR provides the button heads.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I dont know about what yours are doing, but my hinges were difficult to get the front drivers corner down. Finally figured out that the short arm was hitting the 3/4" tubing above the radiator. Notched it and everything works fine.

·
Registered
776 Posts
did they line up before paint? the hinges look right to me. just looked at mine which i did saturday mines not quite lined perfectly but i'm still in gel coat and they are closer than that.

if they were good before paint than i would loosen it all up just snug where you can make minor adjustment with muscle.

just my 2cents
hope it helps

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
amswers

OK guys here are answers to a few of your questions.

1) yes my body is about 3/8 off center in the front (got to figure that one out because all the bolts are in!!)

2) the hinge set up is OK (as it should be)<

3) the problem is front to back alignment and height also

4) cannot get the hood to close down completly

5) I will trie all of your sugestion (most likely tonight after work) and will let you know how it turns out.

thnaks a lot for the ideas they do help a lot ( now I just hope that it will work,,,most likely yes)

cheers :)

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
I dont know about what yours are doing, but my hinges were difficult to get the front drivers corner down. Finally figured out that the short arm was hitting the 3/4" tubing above the radiator. Notched it and everything works fine.

Same thing here. Notched the arm & it went right down.

·
Coolest Puzzle ever !
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nothing will work!!!

I tried all of your tricks and sugestions (wich where all good) but nothing is doing it! I can get it center but the best I can do fwd and aft is an inch shy of what it should be. Can it be possible that the pre-drill holes in the hood are not where they should be?

Im kind of lost on this one

all sugestions are more than welcome...:confused: :(

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
My car is at the painter or I would give you measurements for a reference. Maybe someone can measure where the brackets sit in reference to the body and the frame. (maybe the hood brackets were welded too far back). Secondly, if someone could measure where the hinge sits in reference to the front edge of the hood, you could pin down where the problem lies. If it becomes too big of an issue, you may have to consider the aftermarket hinges.

Anyone?

D

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
I have a good hinge assembly document that I can send you if you send me a pm with your email address. I think that a lot of people here are not getting that your problem is more fore and aft fitment than anything else. Good luck

·
Registered
898 Posts
Here's a comparison of your hood and mine, they seem about the same:

Here's a photo of my bracket assembled and like someone else suggested; in the second shot you can see where the bracket that holds the hood hinge is welded to the frame. You may be able to compare mine to yours to determine if it was welded incorrectly.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You will have to swap the two brackets that hold the two arms. On your pictures, the left bracket has to go on the right side and vice versa.

This way you will have the short leg (the front arm) more foward than the foward carriage bolt. Check Joe pictures post 17

Jacques

1 - 20 of 24 Posts