Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next steps in the instructions is to start attaching the hood.

I have to decide what I will do and what I will leave to the person doing the body work and paint.

Hood - This needs sanded to fit. To me it seems better to let the body guy do this. However I need to install the hood latches so I can drive it.

1. No Sanding - My thought is the center is the center and the latches locking mechanism can be adjusted up and down. So the the placement will be fine. All this with out sanding it down to fit.

2. Sanding - I could sand it until it fits. The book suggests paint sticks as a good gap. If sand it just enough to fit that will and larger than the gap this will allow the body guy to make professional gaps.

The same for the trunk and doors.

I just want to be safe during testing and leave as much as I can for the body man.

Jason

·
Registered
512 Posts
I sanded all my panels just enough to set hinges,latches and locks. I didn’t use the paint stick method i set all gaps to 1/8 so body shop will do the rest.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's my plan I think.

Any tips? Grit of paper? I was just going try to do it as equally as possible until it fits.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Everyone is going to be different and by any means am I a body guy lol but what worked great for me was a 2” orbital air sander (Easy to control) 120 grit discs and blue tape. First I taped around the edge of body where panel went then I put panel on taped the edge of panel where I wanted gap to be And sanded to I touched the tape. Worked perfect and the tape makes it easier to see gap especially with my body being black.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks like I will be getting a significant amount of time off.

I guess these are my next steps. Seems like things will move fast. Try to make sure I take things slow and methodical.

Weather getting better I will be able to do the interior soon.

It seems like body off would give me personally the best opportunity to make the interior look good.

I plan on fitting the rest of the exterior. Maybe the windshield. Then pull it off and take the body off for interior.

I hope everyone else is in a position to be productive too.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now to decide if the small bumpers or the large bumpers are appropriate.

The 1st is small

The 2nd is big.

I like the small.

This is a fun process.

Jason
20200327_143503_05.jpg
20200327_143519.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got the hinges on and the supports on.

I can not get the short and long arm tight.

This is where the bolt with the bushing on it goes.

Is this suppose to be tight? Or wiggle room sowhen it goes up and down it can adjust?

20200328_143834_resized.jpg
c

I say tight. I can add washers to make it happen.

20200328_143834.jpg

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts