Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have 351w block, lets assume the taller deck just for arguments sake.a Vic jr int. Edel 750 carb. Energy susp. poly motor mnts.. Can I still use my oval cobra air filter with the tall red filter? Or am I going to have to go with a 14" round with 1 1/2" drop base?

TIA
Bart

·
Junior Charter Member
134 Posts
I have been following the air cleaner topics closely and everybody seems to come out a little bit different. My set up is about the same as yours but I can't say it will match exactly. I have a 427W mounted on energy suspension poly mounts with a Vic Jr and a holy 750. The Cobra aircleaner cleared only by cutting down the 5-1/8th spacer/adapter in half. This put the aircleaner right up into the hood scoop which looked perfect.

But I have to tell you, I found that you really have to crank down on the aircleaner to keep it from rotating since it is so heavy and you only have that little 0.25" threaded rod to hold it. Mine snapped in have after about a year and I replaced it with a drop base round air cleaner. I am a little paranoid about parts falling into the carb after reading some horror stories here.

Sorry, the pic is a little big but this is mine with the cut down spacer:

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
B Dog what snapped in half??

Did you change your carb. spring set up for a reason??

Can you tell any performance gains with the 14" x 3" drop filter????

Thanks
Bart

·
Junior Charter Member
134 Posts
Bart,

The threaded rod snapped in half just at the top of the carburetor. My motor has a nice lopey cam and it shakes pretty good. I think you will find the Cobra air cleaner to be pretty heavy on top and it is hard to keep it tied down. At least mine was.

I changed the spring set up because the one that came with it was a little weak and I wanted to make sure there was no sticking throttle issues. This one had a better feel for me.

I couldn't tell any difference performance wise. This is what the drop base looks like (please excuse the dust):

·
Junior Charter Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B Dog, I do have the same issue as far as the filter moveing. I am going to guess that I will have to get a drop base round like you.

Where did you get yours? Is it a 3" tall filter?

Thanks again

Bart

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
BART,

Just for reference, I have a 14" round with dropped base, 3" filter, 1" spacer under carb, Victor Jr. intake, 302 deck height, same ES motor mounts. This leaves me about 1/2" hood clearance. Eric

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Bart,
Find that round air cleaner in the above post and see if you can get a K&N filter top for it. You'll need as much air filter as you can possibly get on that 427W if you want it to perform to the max.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts