Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the forum for a while now, and it seems to me that many of you folks have modified your cars way beyond the "stock donor" form. I love these cars, but would like to know how the people feel who have built the cars in "stock" form. How do you feel the performance is? how is the reliability of the "stock" car? What is the overall feeling of your car???

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
I was talking to my buddy yesterday about this exact topic. My car is stock, well the donor was a '93 Mustang Cobra, so it has a few added goodies. But the point is that I have driven the car 6,000 miles and have done NOTHING but change the oil a few times. It starts first click of the key, gets 20+- mpg, no tweaking, tinkering, adjusting, praying, etc. I honestly don't worry about the reliability of the car and just drive it. I bought my car to enjoy on my terms. I don't have the time, not the inclination to be constantly pulling engines.

The FFR concept; late model reliability, 60's styling was what made me decide on a FFR and I haven't been disappointed. In stock form these things turn low 13's, so compare that with other cars. Not too many on the road that could stay with a basic 225 hp FFR.

[ November 13, 2002, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: TNCobra ]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Larry Lessie gave me a ride in his stock build car. That was the first time I saw the cobra grin. So I decided to buy the kit. I built mine stock. The car handles beautifully, I have plenty of power, there is a lot to be said for keeping things simple. The build was not a lot of decisions, just put the pieces together. So the build took two months and came in on budget.
(well not exactly stock - I have polyurethane bushings all around, got rid of the rag joint, and bought a Flaming River rack)

David

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Mine is/will be a stock build andwhen I drove the gocart, it handled great and I got the felling that this car will give me years of enjoyment! Starts right up and wants to go. :D

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Stock Rocks! :D

·
5,042 Posts
Maybe the reason we all change stuff from stock is the same reason people change their regular cars too. We all like to be different, individual. I've ridden in a stock car and they are superb. As much (if not more) acceleration than my Porsche 911 Turbo and handled as good too.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I built 1225 bone stock for $15,500. The car was a treat to drive.

After a couple of years of enjoyment I knew we would never sell it. Only then did I upgrade the heads, brakes, 4 into 4s, carbon, etc.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I bought a donor first, tore it apart, then ordered the kit. I then decided to go with the BB option and consequently used very little of my donor teardown. Why? I figured that with my personal schedule I would only have one chance to build my own car this lifetime. So, with that being said, I decided to do it "my way".

My point is that, on top of what's already been posted here, the concept of doing it once, your own way, is a factor that makes many builders "think outside the box" (or build manual). That doesn't mean to say that a stock build is anything but lots of fun to build or drive. It's just that with the hundreds of hours in build time you invest, you should end up with everything you want and can afford.

Good luck on your decision.

·
10,171 Posts
I like stock.. I like to be able to go out and turn the key and go.. I like the fact that when I go out for a drive , I get just as many looks as the guy that has 40-50 K in their car. I like the fact that I can pull in to the Ford service center and say.. "check her out" and they can.
It runs as good as a 2000 c5 corvette.. and thats good enough for me...
On thing that you will never be able to change.. there will be always somebody bigger and badder.. How much money ya got.....
And thats all I'm going to say about that... ( i heard that saying some where)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Stock is good. So far I've spun my car car out doing burnouts in first and second gear (second gear really scared me, I was supprised it snapped around so quick). I'm learning to make sure I'm headed in a straight line before nailing it.
It's a blast
johnbgood

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I hope that I can build the car for under 20k. My donor car has not turned out to be what I thought it was. It ended up being a converted 4 cylinder. but I guess since I only paid $300 for it, I can't complain. I had a local salavage yard trade me an 8.8 3.08 rear and complete front suspesion for the body of the 4cyl. I guess I lucked up there. I am rebuilding the 5.0 from the donor car anyway, so thats not a problem. Now I just need to buy a transmission to replace the 4 cyl 5 speed.

·
12,650 Posts
My car is close to stock, ITs got plenty for me.

Some day I want to upgrade to a Fresh 331.

WISH i had stayed with the Brakes Just like the mustang had. If i had it to do over, id transfer the brakes, MC and Booster over directly. Id leave out the proportioning valve and put in an after market. people that stayed with stock brakes are not continually on the forums trying to figure out how to get their brakes right.

earl

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
Stock is great, mine is mostly stock, but like Earl mentioned use some of the stock upgrades with the car like the pb and ps, I have not driven one without those but I have heard others have difficulty with the manual brakes and steering. Also I did a wiring harness trim and routed the wiring through the drivers footbox. There are lots of things you can do to make your car cleaner and more functional without spending more money

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
I drove #1182 for about a year in the "stock" form before I started mods.

If you will be using your car for a "street car" I believe that the "stock" roadster is the best trade off of reliability/performance---by far.

You can always get more performance but you will pay for it with $,^ hassles, and (-) reliability.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
one nice thing about the stock car is reliability/durability/simplicity. my car's shakedown trip was an 8,000 cross country trip, including 3500 miles in just 3 days from LA to NYC. the paint was barely dry. ive driven it all over california and never had a problem on the road. since my IRS and motor work there have been a few bugs to work out... but i think they are getting settled, finally.

-james

·
Senior Charter Member
474 Posts
John, I drive a stock FFR with very minor upgrades. Its a very fun car with lots of get up and go. As I have had my car for about 6 months, I am ready to do some mod's... Not because the car is not fast enough, Its because I have become used to it. Now I'm ready for more... My next mod's are going to be suspension, because the live axle 4-link is far less than good.. I am going to do 3-link and coil overs.. I have driven 2 different cars with the 3-link & coil over upgrades, and am amazed with the difference in handling. Of course I would like to supercharge my 302, but thats because I have been spoiled by my brothers 500hp monster.. :D

Thats the great thing about these cars... The sky's the limit to what you can do with them.. and you don't have to do everything all at once...

Kevin

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,034 Posts
Stock motor T-5 3:08 rear gear 13.21
3:55 rear gear 13.00
I would use a 1979 Mustang manual rack and use the donor power brake booster. It takes a little work and a different master but is worth it in my opinion.
Jeff Hamilton

1 - 20 of 31 Posts