Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I bought the Harbor Freight powder coating kit and was just about to do my first test piece. A friend of mine was over and he mentioned that if you use your kitchen oven to cook the powder coating, you will never get the smell out of the oven. Of course my wife overheard this conversation and completely put the oven off limits for the beatification of cobra parts. What's the scoop guys, anybody tried this - is there damage to the oven, or a smell that lingers?

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
How long have you been married?

or

How long to you want to STAY married?

--

Use heat lamps out in the garage or buy an old used electric oven just for the job. Do NOT use a Gas Oven!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah, it stinks and it smokes. Don't do it in your kitchen oven! I use a toaster oven for the small parts and a propane heater for the big ones. You can always find a used electric (NOT gas) oven cheap and put it in your garage.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
You absolutely do not want to put parts for powdercoating in the domestic oven, unless you want a quick divorce ;)

The powder gives off a vapour as it cures. Although the smell is not particularly offensive and is certainly not as bad as many garage chemicals I wouldn't want my kitchen to smell that way.

The instructions on my kit also stated that gas ovens must not be used.

Lots of info on powdercoating here .

Edited to add: Much as they said ^^

[ January 12, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: UKDaytona ]

·
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a great article. I love the pregnant oven trick.

I will cruise the streets during the next scheduled appliance pick-up day. I should have no problem picking up a free oven. Just hate trying to make room for it in my garage.

Now I just need to wire a 230 circuit and we are all good. Hey, does the new power source mean I can go out and buy a larger air compressor too.... mmmm

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Do NOT bake parts in the house. It stinks enough that I don't bake parts in the garage without having the garage door open.

I bought an oven from Goodwill for $50.

Pete

[ January 12, 2004, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: PSB ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
871 Posts
I can speak from experience here. I use an old toaster oven for most of my small parts. The only large part I powder coated was the intake manifold which just didn't fit in the toaster oven. I got my wife's okay to use the kitchen oven for that. I covered the inside of the oven with aluminum foil, put a large box fan in the doorway next to the oven and taped plastic sheeting around the door to increase the pull of the fan. Then I sent my wife out shopping with an agreement that she would be gone for three hours. By using the fan and the over range vent hood, by the time my wife returned the smell was gone and I had it all cleaned up. Since the foil covered the entire surface of the oven there has never been a smell remaining. However, the cost of a used oven would have been much less than my wife spent on her shopping spree. :D

·
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Cobra3657:
I think the fumes are slightly toxic, or at least they're not good for you. Not a good idea to go eating something cooked in your powdercoating oven.
Well, the idea was that if I installed an oven in my shop, I could also throw together a quick frozen tombstone - got to work through dinner sometimes ya know....

·
Senior Charter Member
1,028 Posts
UK Daytona,

What a great powder coating/sand blasting article. I've been doing both for a while now and thought I had it down, but this old dog just learned some new tricks. I especially liked FT's use of plain old masking tape instead of expensive oven rated tape. The media collector between the blast cabinet and the shop vac is also a great idea. And how about that pregnant oven?

Larry if you see this post please add this thread to the Handy Posts.

John Minton FFR 4174

1 - 11 of 11 Posts