Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haven't driven the car in a week or so but remember a bit of a 'clunk' coming into the driveway last time (didn't check it at the time of course :001_rolleyes: ). Yesterday I rolled the car out of the shop to do some cleaning and when I went to roll it back in I gave the wheel a little turn....clunk....WTH? Turn it the other way....clunk...WTF?

After wheeling it back in I popped the hood and give it another turn so I could see the steering shaft, etc and as soon as I turned the wheel I saw the entire pass. side of the rack move as I did. The bushing is completely wasted away.

The car has @18K on it and I swapped in this manual rack maybe 10K back. I dug around and found a couple more bushings but find it odd that they would get used up so quickly. Just a good reminder to regularly check stuff on these things.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Which bushing? I ask because I'm not sure what you're referring to.

·
3,596 Posts
Wow...you'd think the new parts would last longer. Perhaps Chinese after-market sourcing.
I'll go and check mine this winter!

·
iBuild
5,740 Posts
Bill, it sounds like he is talking about the bushings that mount the rack itself which is a bit scary to me, I wouldn't expect a great deal of wear there.

Scott

Which bushing? I ask because I'm not sure what you're referring to.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
I had a 66 Mustang years ago. I would take a 25 year old part off that finally wore out. The replacement parts would sometimes only last two years. And that was pre Made in China days.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill, it sounds like he is talking about the bushings that mount the rack itself which is a bit scary to me, I wouldn't expect a great deal of wear there.

Yep...and yep!

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Thanks. That is strange

·
HighTech *******
624 Posts
Offset bushings?

Were they standard or offset bushings? I've been wondering... What keeps the offset bushings from orbiting the bolts? Maybe that's a stupid question, but it's been in the back of my mind as I plan my build.

Kyle

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Pictures please! I can't see why those bushings would ever wear out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
What are the bushings made of? The stock style rubber bushing or polyurethane?

Is it possible that something like brake fluid, PS fluid or oil came in contact with the bushing and caused the damage? As others have mentioned, there is no reason for wear to occur at this point, which leads me to beleive the bushing came in contact with something that ate it or softened the material.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I think someone was just trying to tell you that it's time for you to upgrade to a set of aluminum offset bushings from Breeze. :001_tongue:

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No pics yet, haven't had time to get to it. Pretty sure they were poly and offset but it's been a while. My replacements are regular non-offsets.

No goo anywhere, it's all very clean. Fair amount of play in the driver's side so I'm guessing it's in bad shape too.
I check the upper A-arms and brakes pretty regularly but never saw this coming.

·
Charter Member
1,605 Posts
Mike, get the aluminum ones from Breeze. I did about 7 yrs ago and never a problem.

John O

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Mike
any chance you may have forgotten the metal sleeves that go in the center of the bushings
That was my initial thought.... its the only way I would expect them to wear out.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Strange

This is not the kind of thing that should wear out fast. Lack of metal sleeves is a possible cause.

To eliminate all preoccupations go with solid aluminum. They will last forever and there is no downside.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still haven't gotten under it but the other, non-offset bushings I have don't have metal sleeves in them. Isn't that something that would have come with the new rack/bushings?

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Still haven't gotten under it but the other, non-offset bushings I have don't have metal sleeves in them. Isn't that something that would have come with the new rack/bushings?
I would hope so, as they are crucial..perhaps you used them for the off-set bushing install?

This is the first case I have ever heard of those bushings failing on an FFR. Something must be off... Wrong size bushings for the rack/frame, no bolt sleeve used, chemical contamination of the rubber? :confused1: I hate the Chinese crap they sell these days, but how could even they, screw up such a simple bushing..:sad:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.