Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for people's opinions and experience with the Holley Sniper EFI.

I NEED both pros and cons.

I also NEED to know about performance between 1000 - 2000 rpm.

It would go on a 331 Ford.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sniper

I am looking for people's opinions and experience with the Holley Sniper EFI.

I NEED both pros and cons.

I also NEED to know about performance between 1000 - 2000 rpm.

It would go on a 331 Ford.

Thanks,

Bob
Hi Bob,

I've been running the Sniper on my 427W for about a year now and love it. After having nothing but trouble with the FAST EFI that came with the engine I replaced it with the Sniper. It started right up after the set up and learned very fast. Did have some cold weather issues with it but after getting some advice, tweeked the tune and it has been great ever since.

The lower RPM performance will be more affected by the cam I would think rather than the Sniper. My engine does not like to run nice much below 1800 RPM but I am sure that is totally the cam. But the response when the go pedal is pressed is satisfying, the Sniper gives it all the fuel it wants right away, no stumble or lag. I did get the solid linkage to replace the cable as I did not like the slight lag and imprecise feel I got with the cable.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
Brien

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Brien,

I've seen some vid's on replacing the linkage between the primary and secondary to prevent darting of the line (only like a $20 part) Is that something you deem necessary?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brien.

So steady acceleration all the way from idle to 3000 or 4000 rpm?

What about cruising steady at 2000 rpm. Still lopey?

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brien,

I've seen some vid's on replacing the linkage between the primary and secondary to prevent darting of the line (only like a $20 part) Is that something you deem necessary?

Thanks,

John
Hi John,

Not sue what you are referring to. I have the aftermarket throttle pedal linkage and nothing else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Brien.

So steady acceleration all the way from idle to 3000 or 4000 rpm?

What about cruising steady at 2000 rpm. Still lopey?

Bob
No, steady state from 1800 RPM all the way up is fine, smooth and even.

Acceleration, light or heavy, is good from idle to as far as you want to go, no problems here at any RPM. Nice and linear, smooth and responsive.

Steady state throttle, in any gear, from idle (@850) to around 1800 feels like it is lugging and lopey, but if the throttle is pressed anywhere in this range the engine instantly comes to life and all loping and lugging is gone.

·
Charter Member
1,559 Posts
I just got back today from a 3000+ mile road trip from Alberta through BC, into Montana and Yellowstone, over to Idaho, and then back home.

I run a 5.0L from an 89 mustang that's an honest 350hp/400tq. I installed the sniper system and dual sync over the winter. First CPU packed it in this spring - thankfully in the garage. Not sure what happened but Holley replaced it under warranty.

The new system has been almost flawless. It did not miss a beat at any RPM on the trip. Hot starts/cold starts, up and down hills, mountains, high elevation (Up to about 8500 ft elevation in Yellowstone), lugging, cruising, WOT blasts, sustained highway speed for hours at a time. Just my experience, but I really like it.

Good luck with your decision.

Geoff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just curious...how is the hood clearance with the Holley EFI (assuming 302 based engine)? Can you fit the large oval cobra air filter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious...how is the hood clearance with the Holley EFI (assuming 302 based engine)? Can you fit the large oval cobra air filter?
Sniper EFI throttle body height is right inline with most any carb out there, holley or edelbrock, so if the air cleaner works with one of them, it'll work with the sniper.

We replaced a holley 650 DP, that was nothing but trouble, with the Sniper EFI on my Dad's 347, and it was great, really screamed, started instantly without touching the throttle, idled smooth, instant throttle response, and the fuel economy jumped by quite a bit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Edelbrock Pro-Flo II
From my experience with the Pro-Flo I, the timing curves are very advanced, more suitable for a low compression, stock cam engine. At idle, it would blower roll and the IAC and timing would go wild, causing more roll, especially with high compression and lots of throttle response. Steading the low rpm spark advance cured it. I fixed the advance @ idle through 2000 rpm @ 18" to 25 degrees or so. That will stop the hunting/ blower roll. You may have to adjust some of the other low rpm, part throttle timing settings also. Watch the monitor as someone else drives until you get a smooth advance curve with no dips and spikes. I have not seen the parms available on the pro-flo II so your results may vary. I also set initial timing to 8 rather than 10 to be more 93 no lead friendly, so I would not have to reduce all of the advance settings and to keep from replacing starter Bendix gears all the time. My converted HEI distributor was another problem. I replaced it with a Mallory plug-and-play for the Pro-Flo I. Good luck. When it is well-tuned, it will run perfectly, just like you expect it to. I had too much camshaft duration, too much compression, and too big intake port volume, but it ran perfectly. Your wife could drive it in a parade without issue, just don't smack the throttle, things happen fast when you do that.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I also have nothing but good things to say about mine too. Been running it for just over a year now. Idles fine, runs well at all rpm, better mileage, and better engine temperature control too. And a huge improvement in tolerance to elevation and temperature changes.

The one thing I would recommend is, if you want the computer to control the timing too, get the corresponding Holley distributor too. I originally setup the EFI to control fuel only, and it worked great right away. However, then I decided to add control of the timing via my regular MSD distributor, and immediately had quite a few problems. Tried several things to fix it, but in the end the only solution was to replace the MSD disti with the Sniper disti, and it worked perfectly.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,560 Posts
I've installed a few and I have always used the Holley Dual Sync distributor, and used a MSD CD box. They do have their own "complete" system of the Hyper Spark distributor and complete Hyper Spark system to do a complete PNP if you wish. I use the DS distributor because if you decide to change to MPFI later, you won't buy another distributor for both cam and crank signals.

Each time I was impressed by just putting a few entries in the 3.5"LCD and having it fire right up. I do use a laptop (you need to purchase the USB extension) to really monitor and and fine tune the system, although they say it's not needed. I also recommend installing a fuel pressure gauge in line so you can at least see what fuel pressure is. The LCD doesn't have this capability built in but you could install a transducer and run a separate pressure gauge in/near the dash.

Having used Ford, Mass-Flo, Retrotek (Powerjection) and now Holley (5 yrs), I am very pleased with what I have and can do. I run a Terminator on my car.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
We have installed 2 of these so far. The first one seems to work well.

But the 2nd one oh crap with in first 2 days.

1) Stuck injector dumping fuel.
2) bad ECU.

Sent in for repair. New ECU and new injector.
1) Now intermittent ECU goes haywire, Car will not back out of drive way when haywire.
2) Data logs are corrupt. Meaning some data traces fall out and then retrace. CTS and most other data traces are sideways instead of vertical.

Waiting on Holley Sniper response.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts