Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am doing a Holley EFI update to my 331 in a MKII. I went with a dual sync distributor and found 2 issues. 1, the distributor hits my stock fuel line and will not seat down on the block. I can fix this with rails and hose. 2, the oil pump drive is 1/2 inch shorter on the Holley dual sync than my factory distributor. Is this going to cause me issues??
Thanks for the help!
Light Tool Gas Auto part Metal
Light Tool Gas Auto part Metal

·
Registered
482 Posts
Usually the oil pump drive shaft length comes to the top of the cast iron boss support for the distributor shaft.
The distributor gear rides just above this boss. This means you should have distributor shaft to oil drive shaft engagement just short of the distributor gear, if all of the above is confirmed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the moderators on the Holley support forum said it is not an issue. He has been right about all the other issues I have had converting over to Holley EFI from an A9L with a tweecer. Not a straight forward swap. Hopefully it will be worth the trouble.
Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,609 Posts
I've put these in several SBF's (including mine) without issues. As stated, the oil pump drive shaft should be well into the bore of the block. As for fuel line issues, you must be keeping the stock Ford MPFI setup and the crossover is not allowing the distributor to seat low enough.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, stock line currently. Here is a picture of the gap to seating with the distributor hitting the fuel line cross over.
I have some FTS rails and some AN-8 line coming to fix the issue and get ready to flow some more fuel.
Automotive tire Light Kitchen appliance Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,609 Posts
That looks more like the gear is lined up but the pump shaft hex isn't. Have you tried rolling the engine a bit by hand while stabbing the distributor? Or, is the fuel crossover keeping you from having it drop all the way. If it's the later, you'll have to get the fuel line out of the way first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is hung up on the line. The base of the dual sync has a radius up the base of the cap where the OE distributor does not and that is where it hits. I have wanted to go to a bigger line to support more power, not this is forcing me to do it sooner than later.

Reactions: weendoggy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts