Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recent post by postal has me a bit concerned about high volume oil pumps.

For those who haven't been keeping up with my build thread, here's some background.
I have a rebuilt 1966 289 HiPo that I got off a friend. He was not the one who had it rebuilt, and bought it off someone else years ago. He however did have a build sheet detailing most things done on the rebuild, including a high volume oil pump and hardened oil pump shaft.
Postal recently had a dizzy gear chewed up, but most likely from binding of the oil pump shaft. I've read other threads where some have no issues with HV pumps and others who absolutely recommend against them. I have no idea if the original engine builder knew something that required a HV pump. Not sure if the engine was built with looser tolerances or more clearance than modern engines. I have an 8qt rear sump oil pan, so I'm not concerned about sucking my pan dry and don't plan on anything more than street driving and some occasional spirited starts from stop lights.
My question is, should I go ahead and swap out my pump before I fill the pan with oil or should I be fine? I don't really want to rebuild my engine right after first start. Rear pan bolts are going to be a pain to access between the pan and transmission.
TIA.

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
If your cam gear got chewed up, it was most likely because the materials didn't match. I made that mistake once. It most likely had nothing to do with the oil pump.

A high volume pump seems to be most beneficial if you have external oiling components: filters, Accusump, coolers, etc. Otherwise, there seems to be no advantage. But, it doesn't seem to hurt anything, either.

I would remove the oil pump cover and inspect the case and gears. If they are good, re-assemble, and install.

Reactions: SSNK4US

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have specs on how much above "normal" the flow of the pump is supposed to be? Generally, high volume pumps arent needed unless the original pump was incorrectly sized or you are adding turbos or another oil using system to an engine that didnt have it originally. I would run it if its not significantly more flow than the standard pump. If its a way bigger pump it might be worth swapping out.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,834 Posts
FWIW, I have [almost] always run a high volume, NOT high pressure, oil pump in the engines I've built.
That being said, I set my engines up differently than most. I run larger bearing clearances, both rod and main and I open up the oil passages larger to accommodate the higher volume. I usually run hydraulic rollers or solid lifters, depending on the engines purpose. I always double check the pump shaft and the dizzy gear to block clearances.
I have never had an issue with running the HV pump. I have remote filters (2) on my engine now, no cooler or auxiliary devices.

These are Factory FORD pumps . . .

Your Hi-Po 289 running solid lifters won't need HV as you don't need "extra" volume because the lifters don't require any oiling to operate. IF you have changed the cam out to something other than factory, probably still not required.

Doc

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so my main question is, "will I be OK running a high volume pump?", not "do I need a HV pump?" I understand I don't need a HV pump with my set up, but would rather not pull the oil pan to switch things out. Maybe I'll give Mike Forte a call and pick his brain.

·
Premium Member
17,889 Posts
OK, so my main question is, "will I be OK running a high volume pump?", not "do I need a HV pump?" I understand I don't need a HV pump with my set up, but would rather not pull the oil pan to switch things out. Maybe I'll give Mike Forte a call and pick his brain.
Yes, you will be fine. Go ahead and use it since you own it, and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
For what its worth....My 302/345 has a HV pump(and external oil filter). Cold starts running 80-85 PSI.Fully warmed up at idle,( in outside air temp. of 90*) running 45-50 PSI .

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,287 Posts
Dang real time that is a heck of a lot of pressure. much more common in SBFs is 25 idle and 55-60 at higher rpm.

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
Dang real time that is a heck of a lot of pressure. much more common in SBFs is 25 idle and 55-60 at higher rpm.
Yep, higher than typical. Keep in mind that more pressure makes more heat so it's not necessarily a good thing.

Jeff

·
Registered
311 Posts
So in short there are a lot of factors here that I am hearing. One is the volume of oil you are trying to push through the engine, Two the resistance to flow by the engine build/design, Three viscosity of the oil which is temperature dependent and by definitions is the resistance for fluid to flow. With Rotella T, 10w-40 (break-in oil, well it sure did break) I was 55 psi at idle until I hit 180F then it dropped to 30 psi running. Probably a bit too high and here I am with a broken dist and cam gear.

You should be fine to run a high volume pump, run an oil that flows well. Every time I start the car, it's an experiment.

Man I hope to run into you some time in the future. I'm down here in Cincinnati.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm getting enough differing opinions that I think it'll be best to swap out the pump for a regular one. I'd rather not have to rebuild an engine if at all possible. I haven't put in oil yet so it should be a little bit easier.

Reactions: postal

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yeah ,well,thats where the pressure has been for 5 years now.And it always runs cool w/180 stat, it never gets above 185 -190 . And Has never overheated . So ya got me ???

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
Ask for an opinion, and you're going to get differing ideas. Drive what you have, I would. If you have VERY high oil pressure then decide what to do. The person who built your engine could have the bearings sized on the loose side and it'd be perfect, if they are on the tight side, then you may have to change. Leave it as is, STOP OVER THINKING everything.

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
Yeah ,well,thats where the pressure has been for 5 years now.And it always runs cool w/180 stat, it never gets above 185 -190 . And Has never overheated . So ya got me ???
High oil pressure has little to do with coolant temps, put it on a track, or push it hard and see what the oil temp are.

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
Ask for an opinion, and you're going to get differing ideas. Drive what you have, I would. If you have VERY high oil pressure then decide what to do. The person who built your engine could have the bearings sized on the loose side and it'd be perfect, if they are on the tight side, then you may have to change. Leave it as is, STOP OVER THINKING everything.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

High oil pressure has little to do with coolant temps, put it on a track, or push it hard and see what the oil temp are.
Make that 2 chicken dinners ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
311 Posts
shoulda said 180F oil Temp but yea stuff flows better warm. Do the normal pump and be happy. See ya on the road sooner than later.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talked to Mike Forte today. He recommended swapping to regular pump. On Vaca this week and will pull pan off when I get home to verify pump and pump shaft. Thanks for all the opinions.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,287 Posts
Well 5 yrs is certainly a successful test I'd say. I have always had what I think is too low pressure so I used to run thicker oil. Then at one fall autocross, I didn't get the engine warm enough (coolant fine but oil just 120) and 1/2 way through the first run it shut off. I was lucky it just sheared the roll pin that located the gear on the dist shaft. An easy fix but I stopped using the 15-50 oil and went to 10-40 summer and 5-30 in the winter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts