Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took FFR5000 for it's first long (170 miles) cruise yesterday up into the hills around Grass Valley, CA. Man, it took those winding roads like it was riding on rails.

However, even though the water temperature gauge was rock solid at 195 the whole time, the oil temperature got up to 240-250 for the most part. I did a search and found an old post where Gordon said 200-230, and another couple of posts that said an oil cooler is not needed for street use.

So what's the problem and what's the solution? It just doesn't seem right....

Pretty much stock 302 with oil temp sensor in the standard location just above the oil filter outlet....

All the best,
Tag

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
oil temp sensor in the standard location just above the oil filter outlet....
Is this on the oil filter relocater kit adapter plate on the block? Are you using shorty headers and J-pipes? If both of those answers are yes, maybe the sensor is getting too much heat from the headers. My sensor is in the relocater adapter plate, but it is near the bottom, away from the exhaust heat.
Also, are you sure your timing is set correctly?

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
I've always taken my oil temps at the pan. This is the temp of the oil as it enters the pump to supply the bearings, etc. As stated above, you may be getting some radiant heat effecting the gauge sender.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the timing is correct, but I AM using a relocator and I DO have shorty headers and J pipes. I'll bet you're right. Thanks.

All the best,
Tag

1 - 4 of 4 Posts