Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably complete overkill but here's how I'm getting rid of my 'Frankenstein Bolts''.

I bent up a couple plates out of sheet steel and formed them to wrap under the frame and fit the inside of the body. The plate gets bonded to the body and then riveted to the frame underneath.

Here's one bonded to the body. Tomorrow I'll 'glass them too.

And how it looks from the side. After the body's painted I'll paint the plate with undercoating and with the BRG body it should disappear pretty well.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,274 Posts
Nice idea Mike. I've got a couple questions. Did you bond the plates with the body already in place? If so, can you remove the body now that the plates are installed? What did you use to bond the plates to the body?

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Yes I had the body in place and the side bolts in before bonding. I'll fill the holes in later after it's taken off.
I used some wood to hold the metal tight to the underside of the frame and then small wood wedges to make sure it made good contact with the body while the HSRF (the 3-M stuff) set-up.
As far as removing it, the sides will come out far enough for the plate to clear the frame (at least I hope so ;) ) and there is plenty of back and forth travel to make sure the doors get aligned properly with the sides before the holes are drilled and rivets installed.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,091 Posts
Good idea but are you using one large plate per side? Wouldn't it be easier for body alignment if you made two smaller ones per side. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibly but there is still plenty of ability to pull it in and out and line up the doors.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
What about finding another way of attaching them to the frame? I imagine you can only drill out rivets so many times for removal before it becomes a problem.

Other than that it looks like a good solution. I'm sure the sidepipes will cover up any reminants that could be visible., plus they can be painted black.

-SB

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about slotted holes in the plates and then using Nutserts in the frame so machine bolts could be used but I shouldn't have to rivet them more than once. Maybe if the body ever comes back off but in that case if they won't line back up just fill the old holes with silicone and re-drill in a different spot.

No sidepipes on mine, that was the main reason for doing it like this, makes it cleaner without that big gap between the body and frame. Once it's all the same color it should all blend together pretty well.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
aka MTD R/T
268 Posts
I'm going to start tagging useful threads like this one for future reference. mtdr/t

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michael, how far along is 4427? (great number BTW!)
I should be getting my body back this weekend and mounting it.

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
Michael,
I was looking at the photos you posted. Very nice work, seems you're into resonators beyond exhaust work ;) . Nice gear!
Matt

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Matt. As far as the resos I've been playing with them for a decade and building them for about 6 years now. You a player too?

·
aka MTD R/T
268 Posts
Mike,

I've racked up 1400 miles on 4427, and so far everything has been working great. I have no problem with heat from the exhaust in the footboxes; I insulated very well.

I'm making plans now for spring updates (no heat in the garage). Side louvers, hood hoop, hood and trunk gas struts, hidden body mounts, hood handles elimination, etc.

She's still in gelcoat, and probably will be for another year. I'm having too much fun driving her to worry about paint. I saw your paint post; the green looks awesome.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
Bac to the original subject, how have you side mounts worked out? Any issues yet?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not yet Hoz, probably this weekend. I'll post the results.

Michael, that's great. Don't imagine you're getting out much in it right now! Brrr!

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
Michael,
Yeah, like you, been playing for years (guess I should be a lot better than I am!). Worked part time to learn how to fix instruments with a violin builder. Mostly play electric(Strat and LP), but always loved the sound of a reso. Looking for a deal on a Taylor, there pretty nice too.
Matt

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah Taylor make a nice box. For the most part I like the newer ones better than the older. They seem to be a little fuller sounding.
But hey if you like resos so much I have one for sale at a local shop. Help me pay for that new green paint. ;)

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We put the body on today and the side mounts worked very well. I took about 3/4" off of the mounting suface (compared to the the pics above). It wasn't really needed and it made it easier to get the sides on.
I'm really happy with the entire set-up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts