Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have power windows and door locks. I would like to install a hidden switch in the trunk that controls the driver side window that would allow me manual entry if the need should arise. My first thought was just to tap this hidden switch directly into the up/down wires going to the driver window motor. For this switch to work it would have to be connected to a constant 12V feed whereas the current switches are connected through the ignition switch/ fuse box and, of course, only have power in the ON position. Do you think I can connect the hidden switch directly to the up/down wires as planned or do I have to have something like relays, etc. to prevent interference and/or damage to the existing window switches, ignition switch, or fuse box?

Thanks

·
7,946 Posts
I would just run 2 wires from the motor into the trunk and put a plug on them like a Weather-pac connector. Then make a lead with the other half of the weather-pac with a short length of wires. Connect the wires to your battery when needed to open the window.
Heres another trick I did on the hot rod that had door poppers. In case the battery died, I ran a power wire from the popper to one of the bolts holding the mirror to the door. If the battery ever died the customer could put 12 volts to the base of the mirror and ground the other wire to the frame and pop open the door.
Mike

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would just run 2 wires from the motor into the trunk and put a plug on them like a Weather-pac connector. Then make a lead with the other half of the weather-pac with a short length of wires. Connect the wires to your battery when needed to open the window.
Heres another trick I did on the hot rod that had door poppers. In case the battery died, I ran a power wire from the popper to one of the bolts holding the mirror to the door. If the battery ever died the customer could put 12 volts to the base of the mirror and ground the other wire to the frame and pop open the door.
Mike
I'm gonna use that door popper trick! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike for the reply. I was going to put a Off/On toggle switch between the battery feed and the hidden window switch so the hidden switch was not live until I needed it. Also the switch I have, like most window switches, is lighted so I don't want the switch light running the battery down. If I ever have to use the hidden switch, even though the ignition switch will be off, my main concern is somehow, possibly causing damage to the driver's main window control switch, through some kind of back feed, by having two separate power supplies to the driver's window. I guess if the driver's main window control switch is in the off position and the ignition switch is off the possibility of any damage is pretty remote. As you can probably tell I'm no electrical expert. Oh, by the way, great idea using the mirror as an alternate, emergency power source for the door popper! Some time back I did put a hidden switch in the trunk that opens the driver's door if the door popper remote ever failed. I never thought about the possibility of the battery dying and not having power to open the door. I'll probably do a variation of your mirror idea for my hidden door popper switch.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw a set-up where the owner had a hidden magnetic reed switch hidden on the car. He could then use a magnet to pull it closed and open the door. In his case he had a magnet on his keychain, not sure how that would go over in today's age of magnetic strip bank/credit cards though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts