Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one of those winter projects just chipping away at. Now before I get accused of
stealing hoofas idea, I've been planning on this well before he posted his. Cockpit adjustable
chin spoiler, I'm going to use a electric flap lever with linear actuators.

Now on my polystyrene foam mold that I made , there are some small voids I want to fill before I seal the mold. What would be a compatible filler that would adhere, and wouldn't eat through the polystyrene ?

Thanks Again Guys
Brian

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sweep the whole thing with evercoat and start sanding. Then a coat of primer and you'll be ready for some wax.
Are you doing the mold?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
There's a product called foam coat, made by Rosco. They sell it at a company called Barbizon, I think they're in Woborn. Joint compound works really well too.

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that was quick!

Thanks Brad, and yes I'm doing the mold

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks hoofa

More quick and useful information

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Do you plan to offer these to fellow Forum members? I'd be interested in one if the price is right.
Thanks,
Lile

·
Senior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
Use epoxy, even it you have a good barrier polyester will still destroy the polystyrene. I discovered that on a 14' Statue of Liberty. That was a tough lesson.

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
Brian,

Can you provide some of the resources you used for the creation of the foam blank?

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Lurker

Just a lot of measurements,many trips between my woodworking area. The concaved areas are all formed by using a portable table saw I had kicking around. I clamped a piece of wood at various angles in respect to the saw blade and
used that as a fence.Eased the piece over the blade.

Brian

·
1,672 Posts
Hi Brian

I you like Bill H will have the mold for this splitter later this week and he is close to you.
I bought the mold last week to save Bill time on my car. Henry has a part [ see his below] from this mold and it is very nice. There were not going to be any more parts due to health problems of the molder. At least this way the mold stays in the forum. This is what the mold makes - I am not nor will be in the fiberglass parts business I just wanted a part and this was a way to get it.

Charlie

[ January 23, 2007, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: chucktoo ]

·
Junior Charter Member
267 Posts
Charlie,
So does that mean you would sell the mold? I would be interested, I work with allot of the glass guys in the boating industries and could have these popped out.

Carey

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Hey! that's my car :D

·
1,672 Posts
Yes Erik it is you car and it looks great.

The splitter is the one Henry has.

I will turn the mold over to Bill if he wants it after he finishes my parts. I think it is a great design and want to make parts available to forum members.

If Bill does not want to make parts then I will think about what to do next.

Charlie

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
Brian, I was actually looking for a how-to on what is needed to create the foam blanks, such as materials and processes. Googling "polystyrene foam blanks" and other permutations didn't yield many useful results. Or I didn't use the right search terms.

Thanks.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,312 Posts
Charlie, I will be glad to make parts for any of thr forum members.
Brian, if you need any help, give a call 781-659-1404 Norwell is not that far away from the Cape. Composites is what I do for a living, I don't know all there is to the composite industry, but I might be able to help. I use foam all the time to sculpture shapes out. I used a lot of foam, wood, "wacky wood" my favorite wood, and 24 cases of body putty to shape out the Daytona Coupe body for FFR. You ask; what the hell is "wacky wood"? it's plywood that bends. Bends so well, you can make a tube! I might need to use some "wacky wood" on Charlie's roadster fender flares.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
Bill what affect do you think this splitter would have at speeds? I like it. I might want one myself.

John

·
Registered
450 Posts
We use the foam for building wings for small r/c planes. If you want to smooth one up you coat it with a wet mixture of drywall mud and a brush to fill the voids and sand it out. Dont know how that works with what you want to do but it does make it smooth and will not attack the foam.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
Bill,

Wacky is wonderfull, I also like a plywood underlayment they sell @ Depot It comes in 4'x4' sheets it's 1/4" thick. You can get almost the same radius as wacky. It has a nicer surface, it's cheaper and holds a staple better. Not a replacement, just another option.

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey thanks Bill

I'd love to come up some time and see a true craftsman at work, and maybe pick your brain.

Brian

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,312 Posts
Cobra 302, you will have to ask Charlie Barker about the splitter.
BBBandit, I use a foam that is made for the composite industry. One of the foams I use is bendable and will stay bent with heat. How about a block of foam 30 feet round and 30 feet high? That's the size of the foan block I used to make the coral reef in the New England Aquarium's giant ocean tank back in 1984.
Brian, anytime. best time to call me is between 12 noon and 1.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts